Suzuki DT2 wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DT2 wont start

I recently purchased a 1983 Suzuki DT2. I cant get it to start though. Ive gone through and cleaned the carburetor and fuel tank. I replaced the fuel filters, lines, and valve. I also replaced the spark plug. It will sputter for a second if I spray a little starter fluid. It just wont fire up though. Any advice? Thanks!

9 out of 10 still dirty carb. The small orifices can be blocked. Use a good cleaner and let is soak to dissolve the dirt. Then use compressed air to blow out all the holes.
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

May need to check compression as well. But it does sound like a problem with carb.

Comment

I just ordered a new carb for it. So hopefully that fixes it. How would I check the compression? If there is a compression problem, how do I fix that?

Comment

A compression test is not difficult, but you should have done that before buying a new carb. Can get a compression test dial guage at any parts store.

Good luck.

Comment

Does anybody know what pressure it should be at? If it happens to be low, how do I go about fixing it? Im assuming new gaskets and piston rings. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Don't think the compression will be an issue. Almost never with those engines. Although it's good to know the condition of your engine. You bought a new carb? That's a waste of money. You should have cleaned the old one with the tools mentioned. Throwing parts without knowing if that's the cause is....not smart in my opinion.
              Regards, Martin
              DF200 2007

Comment

The reason I bought the new carb was because I have gone through and cleaned the carb already. It was really dirty! I also am not able to buy all the parts to rebuild the carb. So, I just decided to get a new one to eliminate the carb problems. This is my first outboard, so I appreciate the advice given so far. Ill keep everyone posted on what happens with the new carb on it. Thanks.

Comment

Oke, sometimes it's better to post a picture to give good advise. Report back when you fitted the new carb.
                  Regards, Martin
                  DF200 2007

Comment

I put the new carb on it today. It still wont fire up. It will slightly sputter, and it sounds extremely close to taking off now. It just wont. Any advice? IMG_3515.JPG

Comment

I just took the top off. The head gasket looks ruff, and someone put gasket maker in there also. I'll order a new one. Do you think that might be my problem?

Comment

Check the flatness of the head, make sure it isn't warped? That may be why extra sealant was put on old gasket? Can take to a machine shop and have it shaved slightly till level if it's warped. If you don't know how to check it, take to a machine shop.

That could easily be causing low compression, which can cause your problems. You have to have compression, fuel, and spark for a motor to run.

Yes, compression makes a difference even on your motor.

Good luck.

Comment

I've got new gaskets coming. I have spark at the spark plug, but do you think the problem might have to do with the points and condenser?

Comment

If compression is weak, or timing is to far out you could have your problem.
                            Have you removed the flywheel for any reason? Was flywheel key damaged, put back in properly?
                            Did you check the head to see if it is warped?
                            Have you put the head back on? Did you then check compression?

Tell us where you are? We cannot help without good answers.

Good luck, post back when able.

Comment

I have not removed the flywheel, not sure how to. I ordered the new head gasket. The head is fine, not warped. I don't have a gauge to check the compression. I should have the head back on in a week. How do I go about checking the timing? Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X