Spark plugs? Suzuki says a different model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plugs? Suzuki says a different model

i winterized my boat yesterday. I pulled the spark plugs to clean them and use the fogging oil. The plugs in the motor are “LKR6E”. On the suzuki website they only sell “BKR6E”. I have a outboard 200 hp suzuki. Is there a difference in the plugs? I even went to the NGK website and couldnt find an answer. Follow up question: anyone know the proper gap for when I replace them? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Simpleman; 10-29-2018, 01:16 PM.

There is no real difference between the two plugs, except that the LKR is a multi-ground plug with more than one ground electrode. No appreciable advantage to the multiple grounds, and I've never seen them on any Suzuki. Did you by chance acquire this motor used, where the previous owner would have substituted those for the recommended plugs? The heat range, threads, reach and everything is exactly the same, so if you want to spend 5 times as much for a plug that has no perceptible difference in performance, then go ahead and buy the LKR. The LKR would be pre-gapped at .035", whereas the BKR is pre-gapped at .031". The Suzuki DF150/175 calls for a BKR6E with a gap of .028-.031". I imagine that the DF200 plug gap would be the same.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thank you! I bought it new. It came from the boat builder and then to the dealer. Supposedly...

The dealership even told me one of the plugs went bad last year and they had to replace ONE. That means that they had to get the same one since all four are the same.

Comment

So you have the new 4 cylinder DF200A. Nice! Well, those lean-burn engines might well call for the LKR6E. Since they've been out for two or three years now, there should be factory service manuals available. It would list the correct plugs. If you're going to do any of your own maintenance, I would recommend that you invest the money to obtain one.
        Last edited by Harper; 10-30-2018, 07:42 AM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I just looked on Brownspoint's website, and it appears that the DF200A and AP list the LKR6E as the proper plug. Those are the only two that use that plug. All other 115HP and up call for the BKR6E
          Last edited by Harper; 10-30-2018, 08:17 AM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
          X