*PICS* of prop is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *PICS* of prop is this normal?

I took my prop off to grease the splines. It’s a 200hp 1 year old with 200 hours. I noticed some rust and rings on the back side of the prop and where the prop rest on the back of the splines. Is this normal?

Originally posted by b1gdog83 View Post
    I took my prop off to grease the splines. It’s a 200hp 1 year old with 200 hours. I noticed some rust and rings on the back side of the prop and where the prop rest on the back of the splines. Is this normal?
    I wouldn’t lose any sleep over a bit of rust. From the prop shaft seal outwards is all exposed to water so rust/corrosion is possible. Clean all the rust off, coat everything with a film of grease and reassemble. You might want to consider removing the prop yearly to check for corrosion and applying new grease. Let me guess, you boat in salt water?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Clean out and re-grease. Noting to be worried about.
              Regards, Martin
              DF200 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosmatroos View Post
                Clean out and re-grease. Noting to be worried about.
                I posted the same pictures on The Hull Truth under the Suzuki Outboard section. Someone said the trust washer looks like its the wrong size and too big.

Comment

There are some jokers over there on THT!

Clean it all off, regrease, reinstall and go fishing!

I think you are being overly anxious - but if you want to be 1000% sure, there is probably a part number stamped on that thrust washer. You can then use the Buy Suzuki Parts section of this forum to look up that part number, and check which engines it is compatible with.

Its extremely unlikely that the wrong washer was fitted at the factory. The installing dealer - more possible but still very unlikely. Usually the wrong Washer will make bad noises or simply not allow the prop to seat properly or the prop nut to tighten properly.

edit: I have done a search for you. This appears to be the correct part number: 09265-65001, it fits a wide range of larger 4 cylinder 4 stroke Suzukis.

https://www.boats.net/product/suzuki...fe08adb3bc4d14
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-01-2018, 03:02 AM.

Comment

t
                    Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

I think you are being overly anxious - but if you want to be 1000% sure, there is probably a part number stamped on that thrust washer. You can then use the Buy Suzuki Parts section of this forum to look up that part number, and check which engines it is compatible with.

Its extremely unlikely that the wrong washer was fitted at the factory. The installing dealer - more possible but still very unlikely. Usually the wrong Washer will make bad noises or simply not allow the prop to seat properly or the prop nut to tighten properly.

edit: I have done a search for you. This appears to be the correct part number: 09265-65001, it fits a wide range of larger 4 cylinder 4 stroke Suzukis.

Thanks for looking up the part for me. Just to confirm the bellow picture is the thrust washer that still is on the shaft? Also should that thrust washer easily slide off when you grease the shaft? The washer in the picture will not come off it seems to be stuck on there pretty good. I just want to make sure that it should slide off before I try and force it even more.

Comment

Another question- I took the old grease off the shaft. Does the color look normal or does it look like it was overheated?

Comment

Another question- I took the old grease off the shaft. Does the color look normal or does it look like it was overheated?https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...36db93a94.jpeg
                        Looks like a coating, or what’s left of a coating applied at the factory. My guess is Suzuki contracts the manufacturing of prop. shafts and the manufacture coats the machined steel to prevents rusting. I doubt that enough heat could be generated from the lower unit to discolour the prop shaft, exhaust gases wouldn’t be hot enough, a failed bearing would generate heat but I can’t see discolouring the shaft especially since the shaft is submerged and would be cooled by the water.

Comment

The thrust collar has a tapered bore that fits to the taper on the shaft. There a precision fit between the two surfaces. A light tap maybe required to remove the thrust collar, this is not uncommon.
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

From what I can tell the part you found doesn't look like its a thrust washer.

Comment

From what I can tell the part you found doesn't look like its a thrust washer.
                              Really?

Well, I am sure that I gave you a good enough lead to the parts section that you can find it yourself, no?

Comment

Working...
                              X