Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT40 not peeing with muffs on

Hi All,

I just got a "new" dory, which came with a 1984 DT40. I haven't had it in the water yet, but have tested it with muffs on (double sided output, round) and whilst it run OK, it takes ages to get anything out of the telltale, and when it does, it's more of a drip.

Is this "normal" for this engine? I don't have a deep enough tank to run it in, as I already read on here that it needs to be filled 3"+ above the cav plate.

I'm used to engines peeing immediately on startup, as my old mariner did.

I haven't checked the impeller, as it looks fiddly to put the leg back on, and I'm worried about screwing up.

Is it too risky to take it onto the water like this?

Cheers,
    Andy

Have you checked if the pee hole isn't blocked? Poke it with a thin wire. Most of the time thats the case
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

I'll run some wire down it today. There's no rubber tube, it seems it comes straight out of the top end.

Cheers,
      Andy

Comment

If no luck clearing the tell tale, it may be a good idea to have the impeller and thermostat checked/ cleaned/ replaced. Or, try running it in a barrel (deeper than the water pump on the leg) with 4-5 gallons of vinegar, or other corrosion flush additives to see if anything opens up (should run for a good couple hours total time, letting water cool every 20 - 30 mins of running.).

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what you find out.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I ran foot after foot of wire down there, until it wouldn't go any further, pulled it all out again, then ran it in the river on our "maiden journey", and it's now pissing like a racehorse.

I haven't flushed it yet, so it'll be interesting to see if it ever pees on the muffs.

Cheers,
          Andy

Comment

Great, almost always the case. Some debris blocked the outlet.
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
            X