Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get the terminating resistor back on.

Then, do an auto-select for data sources. I would do this on the Simrad:

1. turn all devices attached to the network on. Including the engine key to on, where it beeps.
    2. In the Simrad memu, find the network menu.
    3. Select the option to do auto-select for data sources. It will probably ask if you really want to, yes, you do.
    4. Now start the engine on muffs and see if all expected data is there.

The reason for doing the auto-select is that the network data sources have potentially been corrupted due to the missing terminating resistor. The auto-select will fix that issue.

I would not think that adding the other devices would be the issue - i think the core problems, in likely order, are:

1. The missing terminating resistor and the associated impact on data sources, and then
    2. Running the wrong interface software version.

If installing the TR and doing the uato-select doesnt fix the issue, then you can quite easily update the interface software to the correct version by uploading it via the Simrad.

here is a link to where you can download the interface software:
    https://ww2.lowrance.com/Suzuki

I find that the best problem solving approach is to change 1 thing at a time, then retest.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-14-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Hello Moonlighter,

I apologize as it has been quite a while (November 14th) since your last post without feedback from me. I didn't use my boat after your last post in November & have been limping by this year without the gauges. With that said, I'm ready to try to fix the gauges again. I plan to attempt to do the auto select & install the latest software you listed above as I now have terminating resistors on both ends of the T's where the one had fallen off.

Perhaps I should of waited until I try your fixes above this weekend but I want to run a few items past you that may be new information in case the fixes above don't work and you would want some info from me on the new items below after this weekend:

1. I have 2 SMIS gauges for the single motor setup. The left gauge shuts off when trying to page through menus. This doesn't seem normal? The right gauge doesn't shut off when scrolling thru the menus. Could there be something wrong with the left gauge and could it be tied into the right gauge to keep both from working?
      2. I think i mentioned in a previous post but the fuel level is the only item that works on both gauges. I believe the fuel level is a separate sensor than the other gauge items not working? Could the interface wire going to the motor be bad for the items not working? I confirmed they are all connected at the motor and not unplugged.
      3. I installed a Garmin Ultra unit this year to go along with my Simrad NSS. I removed the Simrad Go unit. I assume I could use the Garmin unit to download the Rev 2.9.0 software for the engine interface and/or conduct the auto select for data sources? The reason I bring this up is when I tried to update the software on my NSS via a memory card it would not take the update. I'm not certain if there is something wrong with the card reader in the NSS or it simply didn't take the update. But in case there is something wrong with the reader I should be able to install the software vie the Garmin as it is part of the NMEA network?

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Hello Moonlighter,

I wanted to provide an updated after finally implementing your suggestions from your 11-14-18 post this weekend.

Prior to me trying the changes this weekend I had someone take a look at the gauges who isn't familiar with them but said he'd look at them. He told me one of the NMEA T's was really corroded so he replaced but the gauges still exhibited the all the issues I described in my 8-15 -19 post.

When I got to the boat this weekend to make your suggested changes (after he replaced a T) the fuel level was NO LONGER WORKING which it was before he replaced the T. So nothing was working on either gauge now. I then uploaded the new engine interface software version and there were no changes. Next I uploaded the current software version for the gauges and then the gauges began to show life although the fuel level still does NOT work but values were now populated for fuel flow,rpm's, engine trim, etc.. The issue with the left gauge shutting off when paging through the menus has been resolved with the software update as well.

Here are the remaining issues as I observed thus far:
        1. The fuel level does not work. Again this was the one item that was working on the gauges.
        2. Although there are values populated some don't seem correct. I've attached a photo below of the gauges to show an example. In the photo it shows a fuel flow of 15.3 gal/h and a Fuel economy of 5.5 mi/gal. I was traveling around 31 mph per both of my chartplotters. So the Fuel economy should have been around 2 mi/gal and not 5.5 mi/gal. Also note on the photo as it shows no bar for the fuel level between E & F. It use to show a bar and in another page listed the amount of gallons remaining.

SMIS Guage Readouts.jpg

I'm thinking to be safe since one of the t's was corroded I was going to replace all T's that came with the boat when I purchased it used. I'll leave the T's I added within the last year.

Do you have any suggestions on the fuel level not reading and the miscalculation of the fuel economy?

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Add the terminating resistor to the open end first.

Then turn everything that is attached to the network on, engine key turned on, and in the Simrad menu, system/network/device list/data sources then find the option to auto-select data sources. Select that option and do it. It will,pop up a waring window saying all data sources will be reset and to make sure that all devices are turned on. Yes you want to do that. So proceed.

Then check engine data and it should be good.

Comment

Hello Moonlighter,

Sorry, I didnt have my coffee before writing my last post so had a few errors in the post..

I did add the terminating resistor to the end last year. So both ends have resistors.

I neglected to mention in my last post the first thing I did was I the auto select and no change prior to uploading the software. I was also incorrect saying the gauge software made the gauges work. It was the engine interface software that made it work other than the fuel level and incorrect fuel economy calculation.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

You really need to do one thing at a time and get the fundamentals right before jumping to the next issue. If you want my help, then that is how it has to be.

The way this system works all starts with matching the interface software to the engine year. When that is wrong, everything else can have problems.

So the first thing to do, is to get the correct interface software uploaded. This can be done via the Simrad. It CANNOT be done via the Garmin. The interface software is developed by Navico for Suzuki and can only be uploaded via a Navico device (eg Lowrance or Simrad).

Get a blank SD card that will go into the Simrad, and it MUST be max 32GB size, even a 1GB card is plenty big enough for the update file.

There are 2 different interface cable versions. The new ones run .swup software design, the older ones run .luf software. In your case it will be the .luf software.

So go to this link below and download version 2.9.0 from the .luf column, and copy it straight to the SD card. Turn the Simrad on, turn the engine on, then find the Sd card in the Simrad menu, open the card and select the .luf software file and select upload. A progress bar should open showing it loading. When its finished loading, in the network menu, open the Suzuki device and select configure. You shpuld see that it is now running V 2.9.0 software, and You only have to set the engine location as centre.

Then check that in the fuel menu, the Vessel setup is still correctly set as 1 engine/1 tank and that the tank capacity is set correctly.

http://ww2.lowrance.com/Suzuki

Once that is done, it is worth doing an auto select again. It is CRITICAL that every device that is on the network is turned on when you do the auto select.

See how that goes and report back. In the normal course of events, that should have the system working properly.

Comment

Hello moonlighter,

I apologize but I believe I followed your instructions one at a time. My initial feedback in my first post on 8-19 to you was incorrect but I want to make sure I'm understanding where I went wrong if I did.

I added the terminating resistor before I started following the directions in your 11-14 post.

The first thing I did is the auto select for data sources with my Simrad following your instructions 1-4 in your post dated 11-14. Then I checked the gauges and there was no change.

The second thing I did was using your link http://ww2.lowrance.com/Suzuki was to upload the software 2.9.0 for the engine interface. This is when the gauges came to life. Lastly, I uploaded per link the SMIS gauge software 2.6.0 as i figured I should have the latest software loaded and maybe it would fix the fuel level. Was this incorrect?

I'm not writing this to argue with you but to understand if I did something wrong.

Should I still reload the the 2.9.0 again?

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Forget the fuel level for now. We will get to it later once the engine data is working properly. One thing at a time.

Check in the network menu/device list/select Suzuki engine device and open. Check that software version now shows V2.9.0.

If it does, then run the auto select again.

Understand this: every time you make a change to a device on the network, whether that be by removing a device or changing software versions, there is the potential for data sources to be lost. According to your last post, you changed both the interface sw and the gauge sw and since then, have not done an auto select.

2.6 for the gauges is correct. But you and I seem to have different understanding of what it means to do one thing at a time, you went and made changes to gauge software, when I only said to do the interfaces.

Doing an auto select is the go-to procedure any time that changes are made and or data is missing. When in any doubt, do it again, there is absolutely no downside to doing an auto select.

If it doesnt, then reload V2.9.0 as previously instructed. Then, yes you guessed it, do an auto select again.

Report the results. If it is all working we will move on to the fuel level issue.
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-20-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

The best problem solving method is to change 1 thing, then retest. Then change the next thing. Retest. Repeat.

That way, you know what it was that solved the problem or didnt. Also, this method means that you dont introduce multiple variables into the process.

Further, if what you do makes things worse, you know which thing to undo. If you change multiple things, how can you know which one worked or caused problems?

It makes it harder to solve problems over the internet if the whole story isn’t told at the start, and if things are done or not done, or not explained clearly.

Hope that makes sense and explains why I want to deal with one thing at a time and in a specific sequence.

Comment

Moonlighter,

Thanks that makes sense. I'm not sure if I'll make it to my boat this weekend or not but next time I do i'll follow your instructions above one at a time and provide you feedback.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Hello Moonlighter,

Thanks toy your help the gauges are now correctly monitoring fuel flow & fuel economy!!!!!

The fuel remaining & fuel level still are not working. I checked setup and it is set on center tank.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Ok that is good progress.

Fuel level is from a Fluid Level sensor. Which, in simple terms, means that the electric tank level sensor is attached to the network thru a converter. Most often, problems with getting data from the tank sensor is due to a physical wiring issue - either the tank level sensor has failed or the wiring connection from the tank sender to the network connection is wrong.

So again, step by step ....

In the Simrad menu, with the network turned on, open the network menu and then the device list. Is the Fluid level sensor listed on the device list?

IF IT IS NOT then the issue is almost certainly a wiring issue or a bad T piece. Ypu said it was working before your friend changed the T piece, so maybe he messed with the wiring connection for the tank sender to the sensor? So you need to check those things. If you have a spare T you could try swapping the T that it is currently connected to to a different one.

Comment

Hello Moonlighter,

As always next time i make it to the boat i'll try your suggestions and provide feedback to you.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Hello Moonlighter,

I opened the Simrad unit and I believe the device list shows the fuel sensor if it is the EP-65R and the fuel level still doesnt work. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks, Mike7621.jpeg

Comment

Yes that is it. Assuming there is only 1 such sensor on the boat, of course.

On that screen, select the EP fluid level sensor and open it. See what info and options it shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X