2009 DF140 Blinking oil light won't reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 DF140 Blinking oil light won't reset

The oil light for my 2009 DF140 starting blinking the other day indicating it was due for a service. After I done the 500 hour service I went through the motions of resetting the blinking oil light using the kill switch but the blinking light would not reset. I had a few goes at it then I worked out that the kill switch isn't working, the motor doesn't shut down when the kill switch is activated, so im guessing this is why the blinking oil light won't reset.

I removed the kill switch and it seems to be fine, whilst I had the kill switch disconnected I tried to activate the kill circuit manually by joining the two wires which plug into the kill switch (this should ground the ignition system an stop the motor). Doing this still didnt kill the motor so there seems to be a problem elsewhere in the kill switch circuit. Has anyone else had this issue before and know how to fix it? Thanks, Troy

I haven't looked at mine lately, but I think both wires coming off the kill switch should be black, since it's a groundng circuit. Both wires should go to a two-wire connector. This is your first junction to check. The other end of the connector should have a black and a green wire. Check the connector for any corrosion. The green wire goes to the igniton switch, but it's the black one that you want to check for continuity with battery negative (ground). You can keep tracing that ground wire back through several connectors and checking for continuity with ground, or you can run a wire from the first connector directly to your negative bus bar to achieve a good ground connection to the kill switch.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Harper, that's very helpful. I didn't see any corrosion around the connector so ill trace back the black ground wire.

Comment

So I just tested the black earth wire and now im very confused. I ran a test light from the black wire from the kill switch directly to the positive terminal of the battery, it lit up which proves the earth connection is good. Then I ran a wire from the green ignition wire to the negative terminal on the battery to ground the ignition, the motor still started, i done the same thing with the motor running, when i grounded the ignition wire the motor kept running.

Comment

The green wires from the ignition switch and the kill switch are joined in the harness. Both connect to a blue/red wire at the first connector. That blue/red wire goes to terminal 15 on the ECM. With the igniton switch on, the voltage at that terminal 15 should be around 11 volts with the kill switch open. It should be 0 volts with the igniton switch on and the kill switch activated. Your ignition switch does turn the engine off. Your kill switch doesn't. In spite of your checks (and I don't find any fault in your checks), I think you have a bad kill switch. Did you check the switch itself? You stated that it seemed fine. Did you check for continuity between the two wires on the kill switch with it unplugged? Should be continuity with the switch closed (button IN). If not, the switch is bad. I'm also a bit confused as to why your other checks did not work as expected. But check the kill switch again anyway.

Maybe we're both overthinking this (haha). I just looked at the wiring diagram for my DF150 again. My eyes are old and I have some trouble seeing the fine details of the chart. But my chart shows both wires on the kill switch as green. One of those green wires is spliced to the green wire from the igniton switch, the other is spliced to the black. Both splices are somewhere in the harness beyond the two-wire connector to the kill switch. Black is the ground wire for both switches. Greens go to terminal 15 on the ECM via a blue/red wire. So again, unplug the kill switch and make your checks on that switch alone.
          Last edited by Harper; 11-10-2018, 09:44 AM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I spoke the a Suzuki outboard mechanic today and he was also convinced that it must be the kill switch. I tested the kill switch earlier by hooking it up the battery and running a test light in the circuit, the switch worked so I am eliminating the kill switch and looking elsewhere, I am also eliminating the black earth wire because I've proven a good connection there.

What I did just figure out is that there is no power at to the green ignition wire at the kill switch and also at the ignition switch when the ignition is in the on position. I think this is the cause of the problem. Now I just need find the bad connection. Im colour blind and the is a lot of wires running to that ECM so I might have some trouble finding it.

Comment

All fixed. I found a small cut in the wiring harness about halfway along the gunnel, the green ignition wire was severed. Looks like some idiot hit it with a drill bit when they were installing a drink holder, that idiot was me. At least I learnt all about the ignition system and fault codes. Thanks for your help

Comment

Hahaha, good youv'e found it. Now you can help others when they have trouble with this circuit
                Regards, Martin
                DF200 2007

Comment

Originally posted by tbev84 View Post
                  All fixed. I found a small cut in the wiring harness about halfway along the gunnel, the green ignition wire was severed. Looks like some idiot hit it with a drill bit when they were installing a drink holder, that idiot was me. At least I learnt all about the ignition system and fault codes. Thanks for your help
                  Thank you for letting us know you found the fault. Glad you found it!!
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                  X