Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 DT75 Oil Lamp Warning When Running at Higher Speeds (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 DT75 Oil Lamp Warning When Running at Higher Speeds (video)

Hi all - My dad gave me his old boat and I've run a about 5 times without issue. However the last time I went out I receive a warning/error when I start to get past up to around 10 mph. See the linked video to see the warning/errors that occur. The engine starts fine, and I don't seem to have any other issues. My dad has said that he hasn't ever had any issues with the engine except replacing a sensor ( I think it was limit sensor?). Other than the sensor replacement I don't believe anything else has been done to it. I was able to run it yesterday around the lake at low speeds with no issues.

Any ideas on something I can try before I take it a mechanic? I'm hoping this is something I can troubleshoot and fix myself.

I can’t decipher the code, too erratic? There might be a code there but it’s not a pronounced sequence of flashes with corresponding beeps. How is the wiring behind the gauge? Look for loose/ corroded wires. I’m assuming Suzuki had warning codes back in 89.

Comment

If you have a suzuki service manual, there is a section on testing the sensors using an ohm meter.
      There is an oil filter/flow sensor (https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...dproduct=51102), and the oil reservoir level sensor you can test.
      You should first check the wiring connections for dirty/loose connections.
      If wiring is good, and sensors check good, then the oil filter flow sensor could have a dirty/blocked filter reducing the needed flow.
      Remember to run pre-mix oil and gas anytime running motor, until you are sure the oil system is working and bled completely (no air in the lines after replacing/ working on the oil system).

Good luck, post back when able to let us know.

Comment

Solar nailed it.

Suzuki's have an Oil Flow warning, as well as a Level warning.

Comment

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot. Is there a manual online somewhere? If not where can I buy one?

Given the part is only $20 bucks would you just replace it?

Comment

Covers all motors:
            • 2 - 225 hp
            • 1 - 4 cylinder, V4 and V6 two stroke
            • Fuel injected and jet drives

Goggle s e l f f i x e r. dot c o m, the manual isn’t exactly specific to your engine but it will give you a starting point. $11 US can’t go wrong.

Comment

I was able to get the oil flow sensor taken apart and it was gunked up pretty good. I cleaned it off and got it put back together. Before I go water test it there was a comment above on bleeding the lines. Is that done by adjusting that screw on the part where the flow sensor connects to? If so is that done with the engine running, or just loosening it with engine off?

Comment

this was from my dt140 manual. 20181116_081936.jpg

Comment

Remember, you must run with pre-mix until you are certain oil is flowing properly (mark the oil tank, to be sure oil used is what it should be - normal). Yes, your motor will smoke much more when pre-mix and injection system are working.

Good luck.

Comment

Performed the bleed and also sea foam treatment. Water tested today and it ran like a champ. Thanks to all. I'm so excited to get back on the water. Thanks again.

Comment

Glad to hear all is well.
                      It doesn't hurt to continue running a lighter pre-mix to give the motor time to eliminate any air bubbles in oil lines going to each cylinder, because it doesn't take seconds at higher rpms to do damage.

Stay safe, happy boating.

Comment

Working...
                      X