Strange WP telltale stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange WP telltale stream

I have a 2008 90hp. When the motor is cranked and running it takes four to five minutes for the telltale stream to start. When it starts flowing the flow seems normal. There is no sign of overheat. I bought the motor used and have put about 100 hours on the motor. I've changed the water pump twice and did not see anything abnormal. It seems like maybe the thermostat has to be open for the telltale to flow. I've never had a motor with the delay that this one has. Is this type of delay normal on some engines? Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by whiteowl; 11-19-2018, 10:14 AM.

No, it is not normal. On my 07 DF 140s, I get a good steam with 15-30 seconds. I had a thermostat stick open on one of my engines and the stream was weaker than normal and it seemed to take longer to flow when it first started, may twice as long as normal but nothing like yours is doing. Might want to check the all of the hoses to make sure someone hasn't connected them incorrectly if he had disconnected them for some reason or another.

Jim

Comment

When you changed the water pump, did you also replace the under panel (base plate), inner sleeve and water pump case o ring? Any distortion will reduce your water pumps efficiency.

Comment

It seems many problems related to weak tell-tales, delayed streams, and similar problems, occur when tell-tale tubes are blocked (stiff monofilament usually clears this), or the water pressure valve (part# 17660-90J00)/and/ or thermostats are dirty (stuck open/ not closing/[reducing back-pressure] and need cleaning or replacing). Sometimes a good corrosion flushing would clean up many of these problems. But these signs do indicate possible future problems.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what you find out.

Good luck.

Comment

thank you for the suggestions. the hoses look like they are in the correct location. No kinks or looking too long or too short. I have a newer 90 that we are going to compare with this weekend. The first time the impeller was the only thing changed but about a month ago we got a kit that had all the housing and plate etc so all of that was changed this time. We have tried running a piece of 300 lb mono through the hoses but so far nothing has changed. A local dealer suggested a "flushing". Not sure what this entails but he said the lower unit should come off so no debris would get into the lower unit passages. The water pressure valve and pulling the thermostats see like the next things to try. Thanks to all for the comments.

Comment

For flushing, see this topic
            http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...-40-temp-alarm
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

I would say a vinegar flushing with the lower unit on for a good total 2 hrs (separated with cooling times) would probably do fine. Finding, or building a container/ box would be your biggest job, add about 5-7 gals vinegar and run till solution gets too warm. Wait till cool again, and repeat for a total of 2 good hours. You can use a temp gun around the motor to see if any areas are running hotter than others (generally the reason temp lights/sensors indicate overheating when tell-tales are still good).

The only reason i would use anything stronger than vinegar is heavy blockages around most of the cylinders, where the is little, or no flow of water cooling the motor.

Good luck.

Comment

thanks for all the input, we did find the problem. The thermostat was stuck in the open position. In hindsight maybe I should have checked that earlier. I didn't think it would be the thermostat because the telltale stream did come, it just took awhile. I still don't understand why the stat being open would delay the stream. It seems to me that it should still throw a stream all the time. (Maybe a weaker stream) But, new thermostat and all is well. Of course, we tried everything else first but at least we eventually solved it.

Comment

I have the same issue with a 2007 DF175 since 50 hours on the motor. Started with a round style flushing muff then tried a rectangle style with dual feed and also a single water feed flusher. Still took two to three minutes for water to flow out of the telltale with those three styles of flushers. Tested the thermostat with boiling water which was fine but replaced it for peace of mind. Tested the front and side flush port; water immediately flushed out the telltale with excellent water flow.

So I made a contraption with two short water hoses attached to a 3-way hose adapter. One hose attches to the side flush port and the other hose attaches to the flusher. I shut the water off for the flusher to prime the telltale. Once the water flows out of the telltale, I'll open the valve for the flusher then start the motor. I'll run the motor for about seven to ten minutes after each trip. Water temp from the telltale is not hot but lukewarm to the touch. I have to use this method every time time to flush the motor. When lower unit is submerged, it pees immediately at start up.

The water pump gets checked every 100 hours and replaced with a impeller kit. Old impeller always looks brand new but gets replaced. Poppet valve was replaced at 700 hours and was in excellent condition. So it's not issues with the water pump, thermostat or poppet valve. Motor is also flushed with SaltAway every so often. Zincs on the motor gets inspected every 100 hours. They always have minimal amount of salt residue and the zincs are barely worn but always replaced. I always spray a good amount of SaltAway in the zinc openings until it drips out from the lower unit. Also spray SaltAway in the thermostat opening as well.

Not sure why my outboard is so unresponsive with immediate water flow from the telltale. I now have over 800 hours on the motor and it's still purring without any issues and peeing strong like a new motor.

Comment

Might be low water pressure on hose. The upper flush attachment on the motor is not used if motor is running. It is only used for flushing motor not running.
                    It might be better for you to flush with a large container (home made is fine, can put large trash bag in for a liner).
                    Or continue how you are now, but turn off the upper flush attachment before starting.

If it is immediate when lower unit is submerged, then your system sounds normal.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm aware the flush port is only used for flushing and not running the motor as per manufacture instructions. If I turn off the upper attachment before starting, that's the same thing as just using the muffs alone. So I'm back to the original issue of the motor running for 2 minutes and not getting water from the telltale. Not a single drop.

When this issue first started, I would cringe watching the time on my wristwatch while no water would pee out nearing the two minute mark. I refused to let it run any longer to prevent damaging the impeller from running dry. When the motor was brand new, pre-50 hour hours, the pee stream was quite weak to begin with and it got worse by the 50 hour mark. I have 90PSI to 105PSI of water pressure at my water hose so water pressure and water volume is not a problem. I dialed it down to about 60 to 70PSI when I prime the motor and leave it there with motor running during the flush cycle. I'm thinking my motor is shy about peeing in public but other than that, it runs like new.

Comment

Working...
                      X