Fogging ......Spray or Mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogging ......Spray or Mix

Came across info that indicated multi point injection engines should use a mixture of fogging oil/fuel (Yamaha Yamalube EFI Engine Storage Fogging Oil - not the spray) whereas throttle body injection can use the spray directly.

I have a Suzuki DF150 4 stroke that is mutli point injection.

Just curious as to what others do fogging wise? I did not know of the fog oil/fuel mix approach.

Thanks

Check your owners manual. My owners manual doesn’t call for fogging for long term storage. (2009 DF90). I put about a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and turn it over for about 3-4 seconds with the spark plugs out. My owners manual doesn’t call for that either, it’s just something I have done with all my engines prior to seasonal storage. IMO it’s more important to replace both engine and lower unit oils prior to long term storage.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have the tech manual and saw nothing about fogging....maybe I missed it? I can't believe they wouldn't require/recommend it.

Comment

I’m assuming you read the sticky re Winterization, that author recommends fogging, I know people who do nothing to the engine and others add oil to the cylinders. Is is interesting to note that Suzuki makes no mention to fogging in my owners manual, can’t be a big concern for Suzuki’s engineers.

Comment

Haven't looked in here for a while. My understanding for fogging (which I did for my 2-strokes) is that it allows a layer of oil to get into the bearings and moving parts within the crankcase. Those areas are lubricated by oil within the fuelil mix. Having taken apart an old 2-stroke engine which had been sitting, needle bearings and races can become rusty without the oil layer. I have a DF60A so don't fog it. I do however run it once a month or so in a can as our winters aren't particularly bitter. I set a reminder in my calendar for once a month (and usually manage to do it!).

Comment

If you can run it once a month I would think that is sufficient to keep the engine lubricated. Mine sits in northern Saskatchewan at -20C and there is no way I can/would start it in the winter. The sleds I do start once a month during the summer and so far haven’t had any problems with rust forming on the internal components, knock on wood. My Suzuki has only be run in fresh water so that helps with corrosion issues.

Comment

Working...
            X