Carolina skiff with suzuki 70 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carolina skiff with suzuki 70 4 stroke

I have seen posted here about a "white wire issue" regarding a similar problem. I have a 2014 jvc Carolina Skiff with less than 50 hours, I am the second owner as of August 2018. Has had no issues. Took it to the ramp yesterday and had no tilt and trim at the console, and no buzzer at start, and did not turn over. Tilt worked on engine. Bilge runs, aerator runs, lights on dash light up. Voltmeter and fuel guage do not register. Tried to jump from my trolling motor battery , and had to give it up. Got home and tried to clean terminals etc today after charging it last night. Put it together and nothing. Noticed power pole which is wired directly to battery wasn't lit up. checked connections again... nothing. On board charger showed 3 charged batteries. Took starter battery out to be tested...Tested bad, replace battery. Then the guy noticed it was marine, he had tested on auto...Still came up replace battery. I also had been checking fuses. Had extra fuses in box on motor, so swapped the tilt and trim and starter fuses for the "extra" fuses, nothing. swapped the extra 40 relay for the one in place, nothing. So bought another big relay..two of them, one for starter and one for main, just to have a replacement. Got the new battery installed...Power pole worked. All other accesories. Still, no starter at key switch or remote tilt and trim on console. Tried switching from forward to reverse and neutral several times. Popped the kill switch up and down several times. Still nothing. Had two inline fuses off battery, one to power pole and one to wonderland...both good. Found a 5 amp inline under console, it was good, to gps fishfinder...Can't find another fuse to check.

Used boat last Thursday with no issue, rinsed, flushed, and put away. Tried to use yesterday, nothing, that fast, sitting idle under covered carport.

Is there another location for a fuse of fusable link? My harness is thick and has more wires than a trans continental cable, and is as hard to get to. I feel like it has to be a simple fix that I am overlooking.

Checked and rechecked battery cable, hot and ground and fully charged battery, I heard they could be fickle with voltage.

I am at a loss. Thanks for any help before I drag it to a stealership.

Art did a helpful writeup about the white wire .... have a read of this it gives you some leads on where to look:

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...-power-failure

Comment

I did some digging today. I was getting 1.7-2.4 volts at the switch. A white with a red pinstripe and a white with blue hashes join together an inch and a half below the switch. I traced them back and found where they joined with the section from the shifter and trim on console. I undid all the tie wraps and took off the plastic barrel covering the harness and found two more inline 10 a fuses.They were good. I pulled on the harness going to the key switch and tiller control on the stand up through the floor until it wouldn't budge. Then I pulled on the harness that goes to the gages until it stuck, then pulled them both together. Pulled them up thru the console. about the same place on both sections, the wrap and tape was worn through, and I could see the blue green look of electric corrosion..wiped on it, everything was soaked, found a bare looking spot on a "white wire" laid my multimeter on it.12.47 volts, oh, look, another spot on the wire in the other harness, white and blue 11+/- .volts...Not probing, but bare wire cracked through...Started stripping plastic and wrapping tape all the way down to the "Y" where they join...Not but joints or splits there, but goes into a super heavy duty insulated cable type wrap. one white wire doubles back to the opposite side toward the guages, explains why horn and all work, lights etc...

So now, after it dried some, and just general wiggling of wires investigating, I have tilt and trim back...Turned the key switch and nothing still.

I'll have to get some marine grade connectors and shrink wrap and start replacing sections of wire eliminating the shorts. Must be a rough place below deck that has worn it's way through the wires.

Under the console there is a hot (12.5v) white wire with a male plug in a thick plastic "baggy" that just terminates?

Comment

got 6 feet of 18 wire and heatshrink joints..fitted together then heatshrinked on top of that. a new wire sleeve and taped around...everything went back under the console except the portion that had worn through previously. Despite my precautions with the joint, I didn't want it sitting in bilge water permanently. Boat is working as intended.

Comment

Working...
        X