Faulty CKP Sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty CKP Sensor?

Would a faulty CKP sensor cause no fire on all plugs?

Nobody has a guess?

Comment

Failure symptom as per my manual. Without CKP sensor signal input, the ECM does not output the ignition and fuel injection signals.

Comment

Originally posted by wellcraft34 View Post
        Nobody has a guess?
        If you want to work on these motors, buying a full service manual is a very good idea, and will answer these kinds of questions

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...ervice-manuals

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
          Failure symptom as per my manual. Without CKP sensor signal input, the ECM does not output the ignition and fuel injection signals.
          Fuel injectors are firing. I’m afraid it looks like the ECU is fried

Comment

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water yet. As per Moonlighter’s suggestion get a manual if you don’t already have one, Possible causes of no spark, poor battery, blown fuse, check all wires, ignition coil assembly, spark plugs, ignition coil operating signal, CMP sensor, CKP sensor, shift sensor on engine, emergency stop switch functioning properly. These ideas all came from my manual and there is a test procedure for each. I purchased my service manual on line for $10US(pdf) If you aren’t comfortable with the troubleshooting then a trip to the dealership might be in order, electrical issues can be a real pain in the butt. Good luck.

Comment

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water yet. As per Moonlighter’s suggestion get a manual if you don’t already have one, Possible causes of no spark, poor battery, blown fuse, check all wires, ignition coil assembly, spark plugs, ignition coil operating signal, CMP sensor, CKP sensor, shift sensor on engine, emergency stop switch functioning properly. These ideas all came from my manual and there is a test procedure for each. I purchased my service manual on line for $10US(pdf) If you aren’t comfortable with the troubleshooting then a trip to the dealership might be in order, electrical issues can be a real pain in the butt. Good luck.
              I have an elderly neighbor that I’m trying to help out as much as I can with as little cost as possible. Addressing some of the issues above from the service manual the battery is new, fuses are good, all three coils are fine, new spark plugs, not shift sensor because then wouldn’t crank at all, doesn’t have a kill switch. It also has a new main harness from the engine to the console. I have access to another Suzuki to try the CMP and CKP. It does also do something else I forgot to mention, when cranking, I have to turn the key switch to the off position to stop cranking. I have tried another switch with the same result. Letting go of the key, engine keeps cranking.

Comment

Very nice of you to be helping your neighbor.

The starter issue sounds mechanical and I wouldn’t think it would be associated with your no spark issue. You have the manual, I guess you will have to eliminate each component following Suzuki’s test procedure. I’m assuming you have disconnected/reconnected every plug and checked for loose connections. New wiring harness, corrosion shouldn’t be an issue. You have access to a Suzuki can’t hurt to rule out the sensors. I would think it would be easier to check the sensors as per manual with a VOM as opposed to swapping them out, your call. Can you switch out ECM? Suzuki also has an on-board diagnosisic feature but that would require a trip to the dealership at a cost.

Good luck

Comment

Very nice of you to be helping your neighbor.

The starter issue sounds mechanical and I wouldn’t think it would be associated with your no spark issue. You have the manual, I guess you will have to eliminate each component following Suzuki’s test procedure. I’m assuming you have disconnected/reconnected every plug and checked for loose connections. New wiring harness, corrosion shouldn’t be an issue. You have access to a Suzuki can’t hurt to rule out the sensors. I would think it would be easier to check the sensors as per manual with a VOM as opposed to swapping them out, your call. Can you switch out ECM? Suzuki also has an on-board diagnosisic feature but that would require a trip to the dealership at a cost.

Good luck
                  Had a chance this afternoon to check out the CKP with a meter. Can anyone confirm whether or not it should have continuity? I also tired to check out the ohms, and the ohm reading was steadily rising, starting at 161. Also some times when both probes were attached to the CKP, the IAC would activate.

Comment

As per my manual (2009 DF90A) resistance is 168-252 @ 20C. Error code 4-2 which you haven’t mentioned so I’m assuming your not getting an error code. Not sure if the IAC would activate, I’m thinking it might since the sensors are interrelated via the ECM. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Comment

As per my manual (2009 DF90A) resistance is 168-252 @ 20C. Error code 4-2 which you haven’t mentioned so I’m assuming your not getting an error code. Not sure if the IAC would activate, I’m thinking it might since the sensors are interrelated via the ECM. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.
                      Sorry, the engine is throwing a 4-2 code. I had originally put the CKP on the back burner until I checked everything else as I’ve seen other Suzuki’s throw this code when they crank over but won’t start.

Comment

Maybe it’s time to swap out CKP sensors? Did you check the air gap between the CKP sensor and the flywheel reluctor bar? Mine is 0.75mm. Not sure if the .75mm is model specific or all Suzuki’s are the same.

Comment

Maybe it’s time to swap out CKP sensors? Did you check the air gap between the CKP sensor and the flywheel reluctor bar? Mine is 0.75mm. Not sure if the .75mm is model specific or all Suzuki’s are the same.
                          Gap is good, got a good test on the CKP at 191 ohms. Find it strange that with key switch on, it you yes try to test it, triggers the IAC to activate. The 191 is with key off
                          Last edited by wellcraft34; 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wellcraft34 View Post

Gap is good, got a good test on the CKP at 191 ohms. Find it strange that with key switch on, it you yes try to test it, triggers the IAC to activate. The 191 is with key off
                            ''''''''''''Ýou don't check iductive type crank sensors connected to the circuit, what you have done is sent the internal battery voltage of the multimeter which it uses on ohms, down the crank sensor line then out to ground through the computer.
                            The computer senses the voltage and would probably put 100% duty on the iac ground. What you should have said in your first post what engine and year, and what work has been done to it,
                            The answer to your first post if the engine was running and you lost a crank or cam signal it is posible to remain running and go into fail safe, but would not start agian ounce the engine has been stopped.

Comment

It’s
                              Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                              ''''''''''''Ýou don't check iductive type crank sensors connected to the circuit, what you have done is sent the internal battery voltage of the multimeter which it uses on ohms, down the crank sensor line then out to ground through the computer.
                              The computer senses the voltage and would probably put 100% duty on the iac ground. What you should have said in your first post what engine and year, and what work has been done to it,
                              The answer to your first post if the engine was running and you lost a crank or cam signal it is posible to remain running and go into fail safe, but would not start agian ounce the engine has been stopped.
                              It’s a 2012 DF50. There’s no spark on any of the 3 plugs. Fuel pump runs, injectors are firing, 12.5V at coils with key on. Getting a 4-2 CKP code on tach. Main harness from engine to console was been replaced due to severe corrosion. All fuses have been checked and rechecked. Checked continuity in CKP wires. Checked timing. Checked grounds and +studs. No kill switch. CKP checks it 191 ohms. I guess my question is, would a bad CKP kill only spark or spark and injectors? According to the owner, the engine was running, he shut it down for a few minutes and it would never start again.
                              Last edited by wellcraft34; 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X