DF200A lower unit freezing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF200A lower unit freezing problems

Purchased a new pontoon with a Suzuki DF200A outboard motor this last summer. I had the dealer winterize the motor when they did some warranty work on the boat this past fall. It sat in the driveway for a week before trailering an hour and a half to put away in storage. It did rain while it sat outside in the driveway and the trailer has a post going from the trailer to the lower unit to hold it up while trailering. The problem is it just hit me that I did not lower the motor to drain any water from the motor before putting it away in a non heated shed for storage and it has been below freezing here in Minnesota for about 2 months. What kind of damage will I see from freezing to the lower unit when I take it out of storage in a couple of months? Here is a pick of the motor propped up by the trailer rod. Thanks suzuki 200ss.jpg

99.999% chance it will be just fine

Comment

Thanks, its been driving me nuts since I remembered not lowering the motor before storing it.

Comment

The boat I purchased sat with the engine tilted much like yours for two years on the Canadian prairies and I had no issues. For piece of mind you can manually lower the engine via a bleed screw on the lower unit.

Comment

I wish I could look at the motor, it is in a rented storage shed with about 20 other boats. I thought about trying to get ahold of the person running the rental place but don't think it would do any good now. Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping everything will be alright when I pick the boat up in a couple of months.

Comment

Don't worry, water expanse when freezing and when it can't expand then you have an issue. But the minimal amount of water that sits in the lower part can't do any damage. It can expand to the back. So it's not 99,999 chance it wil be fine but 99,9995%.
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

99.9999999% all good

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I feel better about my situation.

Comment

Working...
                X