Mounting height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting height

How low into the water can I safely mount an outboard motor? I recently purchased a used Suzuki DF9.9BTL. It replaces an old Chrysler Sailor 250 as a kicker on my sailboat. I will bolt a new fixed motor mount to the transom and power tilt the motor up when sailing and docked. To reduce prop ventilation when going through boat wakes, I would like the prop as far under water as possible. Speed is not a concern. I want to maintain thrust. Without risking damage to the motor or power tilt mechanism, how low into the water can I safely mount an outboard motor? Is the power tilt housing waterproof?

Power trim and tilt units can take a fair soaking. Designed for the marine environment - larger boats will be backing up on game fish etc so they do cop a lot of water.

IMO what you really need to do is keep the power head well out of the water. And, especially when reversing, you dont want water forced into the upper exhaust, if that engine has one.

On a sail boat I suspect there will need to be a compromise between keeping the engine (above the leg section) out of the water, and keeping the prop in the water. I would give Priority to the former over the latter. These engines have inbuilt over-rev protection if they come out of the water under power.

Comment

You can't really go to deep to damage the engine because of your keel. The keel is way deeper the you can put your motor. So set it as deep as you like but take the suggestion from moonlighter with it.
      Regards, Martin
      DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
      X