1989 DT75 Lower Unit Clicking Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 DT75 Lower Unit Clicking Sound

Good evening - I had an issue last week when I launched the boat I noticed my prop was loose. I tightened at the ramp but when I tried to get in gear the Motor would just click. I ended up not using the motor that trip. I got home and tightened the prop nut to about 40 ft lbs with my torque wrench per manual. The video attached is my first test after tightening. It's still clicking really bad but the prop is turning, and it wasn't loose after. Any ideas what else to check? I looked at the nut that connects to the spindle (not sure what its called) but I can't tell if its worn down because I've never seen it new.

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like it would not shift the whole way. Dit you make any adjustments?
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

I can't tell much from video, camera was never still but a second, but do hear clicking sound. It sounds like it is not going all the way into gear, has lower unit been worked on, or water pump, connecting linkage been messed with? Possibly shift cable from remote control damaged, not engaging shift linkage completely? Remove cable, and shift by hand if possible, to see if motor shifts all the way into gear without cable?

Is prop making all the noise? Is prop slipping?Remove prop and restart, but DO NOT rev motor in gear without prop in water (load against prop).

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what you find.

Comment

I agree it doesn't sound like its getting into gear. The lower unit has not been worked on except for me tightening the propellor. I just realized I uploaded the wrong video. From this video, I am noticing that the clicking is occurring even when the motor is in neutral. I can try to redo this test without the prop, and I can try rev it manually by disconnecting the cable. Let me know if there is anything else you suggest trying.

Comment

Your motor appears to be overheating. Steam is all that is coming out of tell-tale and leg exhaust! Stop running it until that is fixed!

Good luck, post back when you get the overheating problem corrected.

Comment

So I ended up working with someone on this and they are saying it's the clutch dog. They are recommending to replace the lower unit. Just trying to get a second opinion from the group if that sounds correct or would replacing the part be a viable route?

Comment

If it is the clutch dog then probably the gears would be defective too. It's not that hard to replace those or only the clutch. Disassemble the lower and check should be the first thing to do. Then you can decide to replace the parts or the complete lower.
              Regards, Martin
              DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
              X