2018 df200 lower unit removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 df200 lower unit removal

Chipped cav plate so I need to remove lower unit. I def got all screws out but it will only drop 1/2 inch. It almost feels like the clutch rod is holding it in? Is there something I need to do to disconnect it? It is winter up here so that prob isn’t helping but gear shaft shouldn’t freeze up after one season. Any suggestions?

If you got that hidden bolt under trim tab (?), the directional plastic blade; it is common to have the gear shifter rod stick to the upper unit. However, yours being a new engine I don't know if that could be.

Comment

def got the trim tab screw out. i have read about this issue but i agree i didnt expect it with new engine. i guess i'll wait for marina to re open and see what they say. i wanted to get a head start and do it myself.

Comment

I’ve seen some older DF225s get totally stuck, to the point of cutting the driveshaft off. Did a new 175 yesterday and had to stand on the cav plate to get it to pop loose.

Comment

Standing on cav plate, not a good move.
          most chipped, or broken cav plates can be repaired while still on motor, if taken to a good aluminum welding shop.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
            Standing on cav plate, not a good move.
            most chipped, or broken cav plates can be repaired while still on motor, if taken to a good aluminum welding shop.

Good luck.
            ive found that to cause less damage than the other methods when one is jammed tight. And for some reason with a Suzuki, it happens.

Comment

tks guys. i'll let u know how it turns out. welder off premises and boat is blocked. i'll need it off at some point anyway so prob better to do it now.

Comment

there is a second bolt under the trim tab up in the cavity a bit

Comment

Tks. I got that one. Think of using a hand winch with straps going through the 1/2 inch space

Comment

I have used plastic wood cutter wedges, they will not damage the mating aluminum surface and you reduce the risk of injury or damage. Use 2 wedges keep the mating surfaces parallel.
                    Jim

Comment

tks, Jim. I used wood wedges to get me to where i am now. i'll try that also.

Comment

Are you in neutral? Maybe the splines on the drive/shifter shaft are binding at the top. My issue was reassembling, had to give the drive shaft a small wiggle to get the splines to fully seat. I was about 3/4” short from fully seating.

Comment

Is this an AP model? Fly by wire?

If so you had better get a service manual because they have some very specific procedures for lower unit removal etc. Can be a real problem if not done right from what Iam told.

Comment

Yes it is moonlighter. I’ll do that as I haven’t tried again yet. I was waiting for weather to warm up

Comment

Looks like my initial guess was correct. I grabbed a copy of the service manual and you have to remove the lower starboard side cover and release the clutch rod. Thanks Moonlighter for the advice. Glad i didnt try to force it.

Comment

Working...
                              X