1983 dt5, starter mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 dt5, starter mod?

I'm hoping to find someone that has added a starter to a suzuki 2 stroke outboard dt5. I do know it wasn't a factory option. The same engine design was used in the DT8 which did have a starter option unfortunately it used a different flywheel on the DT8 that had the starter option.
    the DT8 was produced in two flywheel variations the one with the starter had more teeth and larger magnets, unfortunately the starter version has spikes coming up that are designed for a top mounted recoil setup.
    in theroy it seems possible with alot of parts(starter bracket, flywheel, likely engine cover, lower cowling and optional top mounted recoil).

I'm trying to simply the process cause I like the more vintage look of the dt5. I'd like to pull the old recoil setup off cast a starter bracket and fit a starter up as is. In a emergency the outboard flywheel has the backup pull start notches for emergency starting. I guess I'm at a loss to how ill find a starter that fits to flywheel teeth of the flywheel on the dt5. If I measured the teeth is there a place that will sell a starter based on tooth size and how range? And not make / model

Project background(long not critical to the topic)
    I purchased a project boat and outboard some time ago. The boat and outboard sat unused as a project for at least 14 years. Giving it a good cleaning ghosted up some vessel registration numbers from a even earlier time.
    after a ton of days off working on it. I'm getting closer to the final touches. The outboard is a 1983 Suzuki dt5, being it was on a sailboat that sat for at least 14 years and probably was buried in snow half the rest. I'm basically looking at 36 year old motor with 11 years of usage. Adding the snow factor of it's last state registration probably spikes in at 5.5 years of freshwater useage. Being on a sailboat the outboard was probably not used often or on long on each start. a few things age regardless of usage. And it definitely had some teardowns by me. Fuel hoses rotted, impeller, and a plugged engine block cooling passage. Having a practically new motor it's tough to justify the 2000$ for a new outboard. There have been some pains on obtaining oem parts. Im not letting them stand in the way. I've created a lighting coil, not a simple task as the core for the winding is a special alloy. Ac/DC conversion, and voltage regulation. My tests are pointing to higher amps then OEM coils were rated for. I'm also in the beginning of adding drive by wire digital controls. OEM remote was bulky and no longer available, and needed steel cables run which have their own inconveniences. Especially if the outboard goes boat to boat.

​​​​​

I don't know that any of us could possibly help in manufacturing your own starter, or starter housing for this motor.

There still could possibly be a starter for this motor. Look up your exact flywheel part number online (here at boats.net suzuki parts ,or browns point Marine. Once you find your flywheel part number, if not obsolete, click on the number. It should list all the motors that flywheel was used on, then see if any of the listed models had electric starters. You might have to compare other parts on those models to make sure things are same as your motor.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X