1994 DT65 steering slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 DT65 steering slipping

Hi all, last time the boat was in the water, the steering started slipping when turning under load.

Had a look today on land. The inner rod on the link assembly is very clean and moves freely either when turning the wheel or manually turning the engine by hand. The problem arises when you put a bit of resistance against it when turning the wheel, and all you can hear is the sound of a slipping cog behind the wheel. Not sure if the issue is with the engine end or the wheel end.

I have had a look as best as I can behind the wheel but space is very limited.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, John

Sounds like the main steering head gear is worn out. It might be a worn out core in the cable, but generally it is the gear inside the box behind the steering wheel.

That's the easiest way to explain it.

If you're mechanically inclined you could change the steering box yourself, and maybe the cable after, it could also be worn? Otherwise you should ask a local dealer what it would cost to replace the box and cable assy. The steering and cable you have is the least expensive way to steer your motor. The hydraulic steering is much more expensive, but with your dt65, you don't need anything more than what you have.

I don't believe you would be able to find a new gear for your existing steering head/box.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
      Sounds like the main steering head gear is worn out. It might be a worn out core in the cable, but generally it is the gear inside the box behind the steering wheel.

That's the easiest way to explain it.

If you're mechanically inclined you could change the steering box yourself, and maybe the cable after, it could also be worn? Otherwise you should ask a local dealer what it would cost to replace the box and cable assy. The steering and cable you have is the least expensive way to steer your motor. The hydraulic steering is much more expensive, but with your dt65, you don't need anything more than what you have.

I don't believe you would be able to find a new gear for your existing steering head/box.

Good luck.
      Thanks Solarman, much appreciated. I was hoping that it was not going to be at the helm. There is only a small hatch on the boat at deck level to access the steering console and is rather awkward to say the least. I have had a look at a few YouTube videos and it does not look too onerous to change the steering and cable if I can get to it. Saying that, my local marine dealer is only 2 miles away!

Comment

Apparently the helm is a T85, which I can get easily. Looking at instructions, I should be able to remove the old one and put in a new unit without touching the cable at the engine, and be able to unwind and rewind from under the console.

Comment

It is not difficult, but make sure you get the same mounting, and follow the instructions to get the cable core installed properly. Especially if you want the steering wheel to line up properly.

Also, while the steering head is off, cover the cable core to keep it clean, and add grease if it seems dry.

Good luck.

Comment

I have a T85 helm, and it does sound like it's knackered. It's cheap to replace, but good luck getting the steering wheel off. A gear puller might come in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP3 View Post
              I have a T85 helm, and it does sound like it's knackered. It's cheap to replace, but good luck getting the steering wheel off. A gear puller might come in handy.
              Thanks Andy, might have to source one. My problem will be getting enough room to manoeuvre. Apart from the hole when the wheel is, the only other access is through a small storage compartment on the bottom of the console. It is an integral part of the boat. I'm hoping that once the wheel and mounting bolts are off, the helm may have enough cable on it to drop it to the floor and remove and reattach from there. If not, it is going to be a right pain and almost impossible having to try and do it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOrrett

Thanks Andy, might have to source one. My problem will be getting enough room to manoeuvre. Apart from the hole when the wheel is, the only other access is through a small storage compartment on the bottom of the console. It is an integral part of the boat. I'm hoping that once the wheel and mounting bolts are off, the helm may have enough cable on it to drop it to the floor and remove and reattach from there. If not, it is going to be a right pain and almost impossible having to try and do it otherwise.
                Hi John,

With the steering wheel and bezel removed, there should be some nuts to undo, and the the helm can be pushed through and down to your storage compartment. Hopefully you can get and arm up there with the new one to place it through the same hole.

Cheers,
                Andy

Comment

Not sure on your installation, but most cables will not pull any slack. You should loosen cable nut, before mounting bolts, and yes, you may need to borrow/rent puller from most any auto parts store, to remove steering wheel.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X