Suzuki 115 SMIS Interface Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 115 SMIS Interface Help

I’ve ordered the SMIS interface 990C0-88149-350 and the SMIS to SDS 990C0-88136 from Browns Point. I’ve seen a couple different ways people say to hook it up. Some say at helm some say at motor. I was thinking that I could take the first part I listed and connect it to the second item and then plug that into the diagnostic port on my motor.... is that correct? And if so where does the other plug (which I believe is the trim) plug into? I have a 2016 Suzuki 115. Thanks for any guidance.

There are indeed 2 ways to connect up the interface cable. Neither uses the 2 pin plug (trim) because trim data is sent via main connection on newer engines. Its only there for older engines.

So, it all depends on whether you also want analogue gauges to work.

Option 1. : no analogue gauges
    this option is the simplest physical connection. You plug the interface into the gauge harness behind the dash. At the motor end, you swap the harness connection from the standard analoge plug to the SDS (diagnostic) plug on the engine. Done. You dont need the SDS adapter cable for this install. Note that engine fault codes, service reminders will only be displayed on Suzuki gauges such as C-10, if you dont have one of these on your network you wont get those codes etc on your MFD screen.

Option 2: You still want the analgue gauges to work along with getting digital data onto your MFD screen.
    this is the one where the interface has to be connected to the SDS plug on the engine, using the SDS adapter cable. This is the ONLY WAY to get both digital data and have the analogue gauges working at the same time. Again the 2 pin plug isnt used.

Both options require the network to be configured when first installed and this can only be done using a Navico (Lowrance or Simrad) display or Suzuki digital gauges (SMIS or C-10). The system will not work properly unless this config process has been done. Once its done the Navico/Suzuki device can be taken off the network.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-19-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Ok, so my SMIS to SDS adapter cord will be here to
      orrow. I have already got the cable run from console all the way to the motor and I have my NMEA 2000 back bone and all already rigged up. I have a Lowrance HDS7 gen2 touch. How difficult is the configuration??

Comment

Man I am glad I found this forum. I appreciate the info more then you know!

Comment

Config is easy. Can be done on your HDS, perfect for the job!

Many times the first time the system comes on it will prompt you to do the setup.

but if it doesnt the steps are easy.

1. turn everything attached to the network on, turn engine key to on where it beeps. Dont start it though.

2. HDS menu: system/fuel/vessel setup. Complete the boat setup using the drop down menus - set number of engines and tanks and tank capacity. Save exit.

3. Next configure the interface. System/network/device list. Select the Suzuki device, enter, then select configure. Use the drop down menu to set the engine location (will be centre for a single engine. You can give it a name if you like. Do NOT TRY TO CHANGE THE HP AND ENGINE YEAR. These are auto detected by the network and cannot be changed, do not worry if they differ slightly from what yours is, it sets them at the family level and the common ecu year. I repeat you cannot change them anyway! They change right back if you do.

4. Final step is to set data sources. Again, menu/system/network/data sources and select the option to auto-select data sources. It will pop up a message asking if you want to, yes you do.

That’s it.

If you put the muffs on the engine and start it up, go to the HDS Info page to see the virtual dashboard and it will show the engine data. Note that some gauges will not be active because the screen is generic and different motors send different data to the network. You can customise the info pages to an extent to show what you want. There are 3 I think preset info pages, use the arrow button to scroll between them to see what they show.

On each page of the HDS you can add data overlay items which include engine and fuel data if you want to.

This page from lowrance has photos to show you what to do, but as I said, ignore the bits about setting engine hp and year.

https://ww2.lowrance.com/Global/Lowr...Connection.pdf

Lastly, I always recommend that once it is all set up, you fill the tank with fuel, go fishing and use at least 1/4 tank, the more the better. Then go refill the tank immediately and try to fill it to same level as before, best to go to same gas station and same pump so boat is at the same angle.

Take a note of how much the system says was used and how much it actually took to fill up. It should be within a small % margin of the same figure. If its out by more than 2-3% then you can calibrate it to correct the accuracy.

menu/fuel/refuel/select set to full. Select calibrate. It will pop up a screen where you input the actual amount added. Enter the amount, hit enter, and exit, it will pop up a message re calibration factor being changed. This is the K-factor.

You might have to do this calibration process a few times after you fill up aftervthat, and it will then get so close to perfect, leave it alone after that. The biggest variation from then on will be whether you fill up to the same level or not. Mine is always within 1% of actual.

Make a mental note to ALWAYS reset the system when you refuel.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the info. After I get all this the next step will be getting motor at right height and getting the right prop. I bought the boat new from dealer but don’t believe I have the right prop and motor maybe set too low. I read the sticky at the top of forum that had a lot of useful info!

Comment

Working...
            X