Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF300 fuel management system

Hello everyone,
    First thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out. I just purchased a boat with a 07 DF 300. My fuel management system currently says I’m burning between 500-800 gph. Obviously this is insanely wrong so I went into the settings and set them back to factory default which it then prompted me to enter data about the boat which I did. After completing that it still says I’m burning 800gph. The fuel remaining bar is always on empty which I’m guessing is because the system thinks I am actually burning fuel at the rate of a cruise ship. The previous owner didn’t have any paperwork or manual on the engine so I’m trying to figure this out blind. Would anyone have any idea on what steps to do next?
    Thanks!

well, Moonlighter is our resident expert on these matters. But he will be asking what version interface you have. So you can get a jump on solving this if you look up that first. What instrument are you using to monitor your fuel use?
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Hehe! Mike (Harper) beat me to it! I have been out all morning helping another member who lives nearby sort out a similar issue and just saw this post.

The fuel data comes from the Suzuki engine interface. And is displayed on your digital gauges and/or a GPS/sonar display such as a Simrad NSS or whatever.

Dramatically wrong fuel flow like you are getting is always because the Suzuki interface is running an software version that is incompatible with your engine.

For your year engine, i would be running interface version 2.5.0 or V2.30, both will work. You MIGHT get lucky with V 2.9.0 also - maybe a 20% chance.

Depending on what digital gauges and displays you have, you can check the interface version and possibly upload the correct version.

So, please tell us what gauges you have (B&W) or Colour? Maker? What screens are also linked to your network? Brand and model please.

Comment

check if you have a changed ecu. Recently a friend had changed the ecu, and with no version (2.3 2.7 2.9) of the fuel consumption figures correctly.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far guys. Here is all of the information I grabbed from the pages on the gauges.

About screen:
          Application: 1.1.50.2.126
          Platform: 13.0.031851-r1
          hardware: 128miB
          2014 Navico

Fuel Level Device Info screen
          Device: Fluid level
          Manufacture: Lowrance
          Software Version: 1.3.0-MZ1657C-B1.0
          Model: 1.0.0
          Address: 2

Suzuki Engine Interface Screen
          Software Version: 3.5.0-MZ1620C-B1.0
          Model: 1.0.0
          Addresses: 0
          Instance: 0

NMEA 2000 Diagnostics Screen

Bus status: Bus on
          ** overflows: 0
          ** overruns: 0
          ** Errors: 0
          Fast Packet Erors: 2
          TX messages: 351
          Bus Load: 2.5%

I have no clue what any of those numbers mean. With the engine off and key on I was able to program the fuel tank to the correct gallons which was set to 0. Once I did that it actually read 86% fuel on the gauge which I estimate to be pretty close because I topped off yesterday and then ran for a few hours offshore. I would just be happy with knowing the actual level of fuel in my tank if there is anyway just to see that and it be correct I will be happy. Thanks again guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
            Hehe! Mike (Harper) beat me to it! I have been out all morning helping another member who lives nearby sort out a similar issue and just saw this post.

The fuel data comes from the Suzuki engine interface. And is displayed on your digital gauges and/or a GPS/sonar display such as a Simrad NSS or whatever.

Dramatically wrong fuel flow like you are getting is always because the Suzuki interface is running an software version that is incompatible with your engine.

For your year engine, i would be running interface version 2.5.0 or V2.30, both will work. You MIGHT get lucky with V 2.9.0 also - maybe a 20% chance.

Depending on what digital gauges and displays you have, you can check the interface version and possibly upload the correct version.

So, please tell us what gauges you have (B&W) or Colour? Maker? What screens are also linked to your network? Brand and model please.

The unit is a color screen that is a stand alone gauge. I don't have any Lowrance electronics all Garmin chart plotters and radar so I dont believe it is networked to any of the Garmin devices.

Comment

Thanks.

The colour gauge you have is the Suzuki C-10.

The Suzuki interface screen details you detailed show that the interface is running V 3.5.0 software.

That is the reason for your crazy fuel flow readings. V 3.5.0 is incompatible with a 2007 engine. Further, the cable itself is the wrong model because it is running a version software that cannot be changed back to the early version you need for your engine.

So, you have 2 options going forward:

1. Try changing the software on the cable to V 2.9.0. As I mentioned earlier there is IMO only an outside chance it might work, but it is worth a try before changing the cable, I guess.

2. If option 1 doesnt work, then there is only 1 thing to do - that is to change that interface cable to the early model, and upload V 2.30 or 2.5.0 software to it, then configure it. That is the sureset way of addressing your issue.

The problem is that the early cables for your engine year are very difficult to get as they arent made any more. They sometimes become available after people repower to new motors.

The software change can be done via the C-10 gauge as it has a USB connector on the back.

I can send you V 2.9.0 if you want to try it. Or can send you a link. Will find that and post link later today.

Edit - here is a link to where you can download the software. You need the .swup version to suit your current cable.

http://ww2.lowrance.com/Suzuki

Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-01-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replay moonlighter. How do I do the update as in do I hook up a laptop to it through the USB port? All I am really interested in from that gauge is tank level will that gauge ever be able to just give me the tank level in the fuel tank without an update or changing out a cable? I was looking at a NMEA 2000 tank sender that I can send tank level to my Garmin 7612 possibly if this system is just that messed up.

Comment

Continuing to use V3.5.0 is likely to cause data instability - eg the other engine data showing on the gauge is likely to drop in and out and may also have unreliable accuracy. Fault codes that you need to disgnose issue with the engine may or may not work properly. There have been reports of multiple phantom engine fault codes being generated and shown on the C10 due to this incompatibility as well. Enough to drive people crazy.

So it really is not a good idea to continue to run the wrong cable and software. Plus, you will need to find a workaround to the constant low fuel alarms that will be thrown due to the crazy fuel flow/fuel used data.

Uploading the file via the C-10 is something I havent personally done, but you just copy the file to a USB stick, and either insert the USB direct into the back of the C-10, or use a USB extension/charging cable to connect between the two. (Edit - see page 40 of the IS35 manual - link attached) you just use a short cable between USB and the gauge. Easy) it also tells you how to upload files see page 42.

https://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/Root...0712-001_w.pdf

Then, in the C-10 menu, open the menu, system/files/select the USB, then highlight the update file and select upload. Thats from memory and how it works on other Simrad displays, so , it will be something very similar to that. (The Suzuki C10 is actually a rebadged Simrad IS35 gauge)

Once its done, go back into the Suzuki device info page and if its uploaded successfully, you will see that the software version has changed to V2.9.0.

You then need to configure the network and do the boat setup. Critical steps so dont ignore!!

1. Fuel menu - boat setup. Complete the boat setup eg 1 engine/1tank and set tank capacity
                  2. Network menu, device list, select the Suzuki device, select configure. Set engine location as centre, save and exit. You cannot change the engine year or hp so dont even try. But note what they say and let us know.
                  3. Finally, in the network menu, device list, select auto-select for data sources, and say yes when it asks if you really want to.

Then, get the muffs on the engine to supply water, and start her up. Let it warm up a minute or two. Check the fuel flow rate. See what it shows, I am not sure about correct flow rate for DF300 at idle but I think its likely to be somewhere around 0.4 - 0.5 gph. Less than 1gph for sure.

To give you some idea, my DF115 idles at about 0.2 gph (I work in litres and it idles at 0.8 LPH)

If the flow rate looks good, then you are very lucky! If fuel flow is good, then a very high 90% chance that all other data is also good.

If it is still crazy, then a replacement cable running the correct software is the only realistic option.
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-01-2019, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X