Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Towing 5.8m RIB with 2014 DF115 behind larger boat on bridle. Motor up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing 5.8m RIB with 2014 DF115 behind larger boat on bridle. Motor up or down?

Hi everyone,

For the past year I have towed the RIB on bridle with the motor down. Recently a friend with a brand new Mercury motor has had warranty made void because of towing with the motor down causing the motor to hydraulic by forcing water back up through the exhaust. Can anyone advise if this is possible with the DF115 and should I be towing with the motor up? I was always told to keep it down for stability and tracking purposes.
    I appreciate your advice.
    Thanks

PS: When towing I am normally travelling at around 16 knots.

Comment

Towing at that speed? Way to fast imho.
      Regards, Martin
      DF200 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosmatroos View Post
        Towing at that speed? Way to fast imho.
        Hoosmatroos,

Why do you say it is too fast? The RIB tracks beautifully about 30-40 metres behind towing boat (Caribbean 35). Bridle is long and acts as a shock absorber. Conditions are usually wind under 15 knots and seas only 1 - to 1.5 metres on a 17km journey that we take regularly. The towing boat only gets up to planing speed at about 13 knots. Interested in your reasoning. Our local sea rescue will tow at up to 20 knots in similar conditions

Thanks.

Comment

It doesn't sound like you would have any problems, either way, but less drag on towing boat with up. You should ask your dealership if a difference on warranty. I can't understand mercury warranty excuse? Sounds like hog wash to me.

Yes, the rib may track poorly, at lower speeds with it up.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi Rough Red, when we tow we do that at much lower speed. But then again, mostly we tow ons small waters and not open see. Wasn't aware that you could tow that fast in those conditions.Learning every day
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

Facing the engine the other way may force water into the exhaust port as you drag it through the water, but having it facing in its normal position would draw water away. Similar to pulling the bung out from my tinni while under way to drain water

Comment

Working...
              X