Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 DF140s Corrosion all over engine, what do yall think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 DF140s Corrosion all over engine, what do yall think.

I am looking at a boat with twin 2003 DF 140s that appear to be badly corroded by the pictures I've received. A Suzuki certified mechanic, he's selling them, says that they have around 350 hours on them, run good but need cleaning and bolts and clamps replaced. Please take a look at the pictures. I asked him if the motors were ever submerged and he said no, but that the owner never put any anti corrosion on the engines???. Should I even consider the value of the engines in my offer and just plan on a repower? What's the thought on doing like the mechanic says and replacing all rusty components and running engines?
    Attached Files

Run Forest, run!

I would be very, very suspicious that those engines have been submerged. Wiring and all joins in electrical connectors are likely to be compromised. Electronic sensors likely to be the same. That is just big trouble waiting to happen IMO. You would have to replace the entire wiring, sensors, and maybe more.

Even fully submerged engines can be retrieved, but at what cost?? IMO not worth it on 2003 year engines.

And if that is how bad the exterior looks, what does it say about how well the engines have been looked after and serviced? A quick check - get the mechanic to pull a couple of the internal anodes, see what the anodes look like, and you can then see inside the water passages.

I have seen some twin engine setups on cats where the engines seemed to throw massive amounts of water across each other, but even then, they were still nothing like that under the cowl, they are pretty well sealed up.

In that state, and at that age, I would not put any value on them.

Comment

I have one in the garage in pieces for over 5 years and it looks new compared to that, no doubt the engine holder would have to be inspected for any rot before you purchase it

Comment

I would not consider motors at all. Plan to repower only. It is a catamaran boat, and will have to have 2 motors with new wires, controls, gauges, etc. Might expect to pay $30k - 35k for motors only, installed. Can not tell anything else about boat? It does have hydraulic steering, but don't know if good? Don't know anything on/about trailer? Good shape? Size of boat? Rest of switches and wiring? Center console? No idea on manufacturer of boat, but resembles a Sea-Cat?

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
          Run Forest, run!
          Nothing more to add. Not worth the trouble.
          Regards, Martin
          DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
          X