2017 DX70 Battery circuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 DX70 Battery circuits

I have (2) circuits on my 19' CC, circuit A connected to engine for starting, power trim etc, Circuit B handles accessories pumps, lights, instruments both powered by Optima Blue Top batteries,
    Until this year both were stand alone and every month I would swap positions and recharge depleted circuit B battery. Worked fine but a pain. So this year I installed a Perko 4 position switch and connected both circuits with a common ground. I did not wire the switch in the standard manner, I wired from the engine to position 1 on the switch and then directly to the positive of battery A leaving the switch in the off position.(no connection to the switch main feed connection) this would give me normal scheme for circuit A as before. Battery B is connected to the 2 position on the switch so when I have to charge battery B I move the switch to the 1+ 2 position rather than switch the physical batteries. Basically the 2 batteries in parallel using switch with a common ground being charged by the single alternator.
    my questions
    1 any problems with the alternator being overloaded, is it load sensitive ? (2 batteries 1 @ 12.7V, 1@ 11.5V) being charged by 1 alternator
    2 will switching from position 1 to position 1 + 2 and vice versa present a problem with the engine running or will I have to shut engine before changing mode . The switch manufacturer says these are make before break. Dont think this is revalent

By far the best approach when running dual batteries on a single motor is to use a VSR system (voltage sensitive relay).

This system gives priority to charging the starting battery and then automatically switches to charging both. When the engine is turned off, the batteries are automatically separated so the start battery can never be drained by house loads.

There are several manufacturers who supply kits for such systems. The one that I use is a BEP dual charging cluster. You will see that it has 3 switches - one for start, one for house, and one emergency combine that parallels both batteries in the event that the start battery fails. Blue seas “add a battery” kit is similar but uses a single switch.

This system overcomes all of the issues you have talked about, and does it all automatically.

http://www.bepmarine.com/en/716-sq-140a-dvsr

Comment

Working...
    X