Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 DT150S pre pump fuel in strainer bowl question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 DT150S pre pump fuel in strainer bowl question.

I am having an over heat alarm issue which some of you may have already read about it. The fuel strainer bowl never stays full of fuel even right after priming the fuel system. Should the fuel strainer bowl remain full of fuel? Trying to make sure there is no fuel related issues that may possibly add to the over heat alarm condition. I don't have a water separator filter on the boat before the fuel lines enter the engine housing. Only the vapor separator, fuel screen/bowl and high pressure fuel filter.

Nobody knows Nothing?

Comment

I didn't see your overheat post, if you had one but your question re the fuel bowl - yes it should stay full
      almost always is a fuel line issue connection not secure small hole on the fuel line letting air get in. would certainly check the gaskets on the fuel bowl itself.
      how old is the fuel line? with today's fuel there can be a breakdown on the liner that isn't readily visible from the outside
      For this size engine would highly recommend a Racor style water/fuel filter. the small inline filter isn't going to help much of if s real problem develops
      and the fuel line problem will have no relationship to an overheating problem.

I do see commented on the overheat post
      Last edited by artdf175; 04-22-2019, 09:21 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Thank you artdf175. I took a camping trip about two years ago and it would not run good and eventually did not want to start up at all. I was pretty upset after that trip so I let it sit for two years.

I presume the fuel lines are at least close to as old as the engine 1996. The lines are a gray color and are pretty soft in and just outside of the engine cowling.

Do I need any special fuel line? Any suggestions for some good fuel line that won't be too pricey and leave me some money for other needed parts?

Just last month I got a wild hair and decided to look into it. I'm getting the itch to go fishing again. What I found was the O-ring in the bowl was missing. I replaced that and she came to life but I am seeing the bowl does not stay full. I will replace the fuel lines and add a water separator/filter under the hatch before the fuel line goes to the primer bulb.

Do I need special tools to test the fuel pressure or can I use a fuel pressure tester from Harbor Freight? Just want to make sure I'm getting adequate fuel psi.

Comment

Here is the overheating posts.

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...speed-and-idle

Comment

N2, there is not a need for multiple posts. We all see your first one. On a 2 stroke the sight glass should be full of fuel, but unless you are running very lean i don't believe it is causing any overheating. Your problem seems to be either blocked areas of water pas-sages, exhaust interfering with water pump, or poor water pump functioning.

But stay with your original post for all of your motor issues.

Thanks.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know.

Comment

Ok I'll keep posting about the problems in the over heat thread then. Than you Solarman.

Comment

N2
                Re fuel pressure test
                I am sure you may see other comments on your question
                does your manual discuss fuel PSI?

but this was the easiest way I found to check the low pressure pump
                remove spark plugs
                remove fuel line on the out-go side of the low pressure pump
                place a longer section to the fuel pump and put the other end in a quart jar
                get someone to help and turn on ignition key to start
                you should be getting a very good flow of fuel
                plave finger over the end and you should not be able to stop it up should be pushing fuel past your finger
                now you are working with raw fuel- treat it accordingly
                If that passes the test - you have ruled out the fuel system up to that point
                you should be able to also watch the fuel bowl at the same time for any irregularities
                Art

Comment

Thank you artdf175 per Solarman lets skip this over to the other overheat thread. I'll quote you over there and carry on from there. I'd like to keep every one happy and on the same page. It makes sense to keep all my engine issues on one thread so any one reading can either learn or chip in and support discussions already transpired or add new information. Here is that thread. http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...speed-and-idle

Comment

Working...
                  X