Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DT225 Very Hard Start, runs and idles fine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT225 Very Hard Start, runs and idles fine?

Have a 2008 DT 225, just had a tune up at a dealer and was running just fine. Shut it off after an all day cruise and would only crank. Finally reluctantly let the guy at the fuel dock spray a touch of ether in the intake and started and took me 30 miles home. Once at dock no start again just cranked. Changed filters, fuel separator, bulb, filter on tank, cleaned fuel system, checked for water and then it started. Turned it off and just cranking again now. Question is there a sensor or means that provides initial starting fuel to the engine. Boat runs and idles fine once running and no warnings or tones. Checked dead man switch and all I could think of? Suzuki guru's please help? Brian

I am beginning to think that it may be the low pressure lift fuel pump. Does anyone know please if the high pressure pump takes over providing all fuel to the engine after initial start even for the engine idling?

Comment

The low pressure fuel pump fills the vapour separator tank controlled by a float and needle valve, once the fuel is in the VST the High Pressure Fuel pump takes over and supplies the fuel injectors at a greater pressure than the low pressure fuel pump. To answer your question, yes the high pressure fuel pump supplies fuel to the engine. If it ran fine before the tune up and now your having issues I’d be talking to the Service Manager.

Comment

To clarify it ran for 100 miles and started fine after the tune up. The engine will not start at rest or idle. Once it is started with a shot of fuel or ether in the intake it starts,runs and idles fine. However once the key is turned off it will not restart without a fuel shot to the intake, it just cranks without it. What supplies fuel to the engine for the initial start? Or a better way to state the question; what would prevent the engine from re-starting? Appreciate your response Brian

Comment

I just re read your first post, it’s a two stroke, not too familiar with two strokes. I thought Suzuki dropped the DT models in around 2000-2001? No code, check your fuel line for kinks.
          Last edited by Murray; 05-07-2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Is this really a DT model motor, a 2 stroke?
            If this is, I would think there might be a problem with the low pressure pumps, and/or the float needle valve and seat in the VST.

Good luck, post back to let us know.

Comment

OOPS Typo this is a FOUR STROKE Model DF 225; Do I still need to check the low pressure pump? Location of pump? Also do I need to check the needle valve and seat Please? How do I check this and set properly?

Comment

Sounds like you're idle air control valve is not working properly/sticking, or not opening and closing completely when it's supposed to.

You can forget the 2 stroke info above, the DF motor is a different motor totally.

There are others here on the forum that are more knowledgeable on the 4's.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Working...
                X