stator problem . I think !! HELP AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stator problem . I think !! HELP AGAIN

Hello all. Some help would be great right about now. having issues with a Dt65 1990.
    problem is this. For about a year the outboard was running a bit rough on idle and bogged down when giving it some and it would then cut out. After all the usual checks, carb cleaning fuel pump check spark plugs ect. After a while of searching finally figured out what the issue was. Bad leads. Changed coils and HTs and she now idles really nice and will go like a rocket even sounds better. However, now when I'm just about to get onto plane the engine sort of sputters for just a split second while it dies suddenly looses power then kicks back in when up on plane as if nothing happened and continues to WOT. This happens quickly for a quick momwnt Then when going from WOT to a slower pace, as I'm slowing down I get the same sputter. again just for a second or two then it goes fine again.
    I am thinking the stator might be no good either.
    I don't want to go and just start throwing parts at it.
    my question is this. Would a stator cause this type of issue even if my battery is still getting charge. it sounds like a quick miss at certain points of throttle. and everything I read is talking about the battery. I think mine is still getting charge.
    What would a bad stator symptoms be. ?
    anyone any ideas of where to look for this splitter jerk miss thing.

Thanks in advance you are all awesome

I Think it sounds more like the throttle valve sensor. Or throttle position sensor (TPS), or possibly the gear counting coil. My guess, your TPS has a bad spot where your throttle skips as you go faster, and slower. Both, the gear counting coil, and the TPS control the signal going to the computer for the timing. If it skips up (rpms) and down (rpms), usually happening at same rpms, the TPS would be my first choice. The gear counting coil would cause the engine to run bad all the time, or not at all, and can test it easily with the manual.

If your stator were giving problems your motor would not start (low condenser charging coil), or it would not run at higher speeds (high condenser charging coil).

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Yes I've done a bit of research and I'm thinking you could be right. I would like to test the TPS before buying a new one. Can anyone help me with the OHM and Volt range the sensor should be at.

Can the old one be cleaned or recalibrated or when they go bad is that knackered.

thanks

Comment

The TPS should be just a potentiometer that varies voltage as you open and close the throttle. Unplug it and measure the resistance from ground to signal return or signal to signal return as you open and close the throttle. You should see the meter jump around when you hit the bad spot if it is the sensor. Open slowly and close slowly. You can also verify when opening and closing throttle as you accelerate or deaccelerate. Should get the throttle in one spot and it does it's thing. Please note, it is sealed and not really something that can be cleaned. Good luck.
        OQ

Comment

so update. I have took off the TPS and tested it. I tested the volts and followed the instructions in the picture. I didn't get any OHM readings from it. I put multi meter on while no power going to the TPS. Got no reading.
          When I hooked up 12v power going to the TPS via black red wire. I can then test volts from the green and red.

My issue is now this. In the picture below it's saying that the volts should be 0.4 on low end and 2.7 volts on high end.

my low end readings are 1.88v and go up to 4.5v

I have adjusted the low rev screw on the TPS and the 1.88v is as low as it goes. I can't adjust it any further.

According to the picture my low end numbers look high. The high end numbers don't seem to matter as long as it's reaching 2.7v. or more.

would a high reading at low end cause the issues I'm having.

Thanks again and always trying to learn

couldn't attach picture but basicly says low end should be 0.44 to 0.45
          high rev should be 2.7v or higher.

Comment

I'm not sure on your readings, but your manual should tell you what's acceptable, if you're reading it properly. The factory changed from specific step readings, for specific throttle plate openings, around those years, to the potentiometer, smooth transitional readings for the throttle plate openings.

You could also still have a problem in an intermediate pas-sage of your carb, as your manual will point out, where your idle runs only on the idle-air-mixture set up, then changes over to the intermediate pas-sage before going into the high speed jet running? So if you have not removed all jets, and cleaned every tiny hole, and every tiny pas-sage, then there may still be a restriction somewhere?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Working...
            X