250ss dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250ss dying

Boat.jpg Good morning, I'm new to the forum so if I am duplicating a thread I'm sorry.

I have a 2013 Suzuki 250ss on 2013 BlueWave Purebay, about 200 hrs on it. The motor is dying for no reason mainly after a long idle in no wake zone I goto get on plane and it dies. I pump the bulb, fires up and runs fine. I have changed the low pressure fuel pump, and the prime bulb. It doesn't do it all the time, I can't put a pattern together to figure it out. Please tell me someone else has had this and what fixes it. Very annoying.

I see by your picture the leaves aren’t out yet so I’m assuming the engine was in storage for the winter. Fresh fuel? The fuel should be clear like water, any discolouration(like an amber ale) would be old/stale fuel.

Comment

Mr. Murray, no sir, I use my boat all year round. I have checked my fuel and there's nothing wrong with it.

Comment

there are a few things I can suggest checking
        start with the fuel tank vent
        when you pump the fuel bulb is it very soft or sunken in? If so it would indicate a problem with tank venting that creates a vacuum in the delivery system to the point the engine cannot pump hard enough to get fuel
        the other thing to check is all the hose clamps
        there are a number of instances where air gets through loose/leaking connections
        check you fuel bulb to be sure the correct end is pointing up
        Art

Comment

Also, the anti-syphon valve (if fitted) on the boat’s fuel tank outlet can be faulty, causing those kinds of symptoms - it can get stuck and at idle speeds the engine isnt sucking fuel in large enough volumes to keep it open. Engine starves.

Had very similar symptoms on a mate’s Striper, so we unscrewed the anti-syphon valve from the tank, punched out the internals (ball, spring and seat) and reinstalled the now straight-thru barb fitting. Problem solved. Solution was a15 minute job and cost nothing.

Comment

I am having the same issue with my DF250 with only 70 hrs. Been towed in 5 times. The marina that re powered the boat replaced both fuel pumps under warranty but still having same issue. I ran the motor for 2-1/2 hrs straight yesterday. Some trolling at 1200 rpms and crusing at 4800. Started drift fishing so only ran for 1-2 minutes to get back out to deeper water. Last time it stalled running at 1200 rpms. Would not start. Primer bulb had gas in it.took 1 pump to make hard. Replaced fuel filter water separator and same problem. Not an issue for the first 2-1/2 hrs.the fuel lines were replaced when new motor was installed April 2018. I would have more hours on it but it keeps failing me. Any ideas? Do these have vapor lock issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Hag View Post
              I am having the same issue with my DF250 with only 70 hrs. Been towed in 5 times. The marina that re powered the boat replaced both fuel pumps under warranty but still having same issue. I ran the motor for 2-1/2 hrs straight yesterday. Some trolling at 1200 rpms and crusing at 4800. Started drift fishing so only ran for 1-2 minutes to get back out to deeper water. Last time it stalled running at 1200 rpms. Would not start. Primer bulb had gas in it.took 1 pump to make hard. Replaced fuel filter water separator and same problem. Not an issue for the first 2-1/2 hrs.the fuel lines were replaced when new motor was installed April 2018. I would have more hours on it but it keeps failing me. Any ideas? Do these have vapor lock issues?
              Have you done the things that were suggested earlier in this thread?

90% of the time these kinds of issues are to do with the installation on the boat (eg the boat’s fuel system or the fuel), not the motor itself. It can be as simple as a kink in a fuel line that was installed, the fuel tank pickup pipe, or a air leak. Someone needs to go thru the boat’s fuel system and eliminate things systematically.

No, no vapor lock issues are known on these new engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Hag View Post
                I wish I had a solution for our similar issues. From all the suggestions, and from my thoughts as well it is a fuel issue. I had a 2 stroke that I pulled the pump from the tank and knocked out the ball bearing at the end of the tube. I am gonna start at the motor and work my way to the tank.

Comment

I pulled gas line off tank to check for anti siphon valve. Not one there. Gas line is new. Removed entry side of fuel filter and siphoned 2 gallons out and found no issues with flow and gas is clear. Pinched the tube to reduce flow and kinked to stop flow. Started right up again with no hesitation. Replaced line and did same on exit side of filter both before and after the bulb. Still no issues. I read on one of the threads that if you shut the motor down after running at high rpms without idling for a couple minutes, the alcohol in the gas will start to evaporate causing a vapor lock. I put the boat in the water prior to doing all this and it started right up. Only time I have this issue is when I drift fish and run out 1/2 mile and shut off. Will let idle each time for a couple minutes and see if my problem goes away. Also added isopropyl dry gas to combat water issues in the tank.will try as soon as the ocean calms down a bit

Comment

Follow up to last post. The ocean settled some so back out I go to test the new theory. Motor started as always with no issue at the dock. Drove out 5 miles at 4000 rpms and started trolling at 1200-1400. No issues at all. Decided after 2 hrs to drift fish. Back towards shore I go at 4000 rpms. Get to the spot, leave the motor idling until engine cooled to 145 degrees before shutting off. Temp was 160 deg F. Repeated this process at least 10 times and no issues. Prior to this, I was towed home as motor would not start. Went back out today and repeated the whole fishing thing again and still no issues with the motor. As long as I let the motor cool at idle prior to shutting off, it starts without issues. I also also " heet iso ", which is isopropyl alchohol to help with water in tank as the boat will sit for 6 weeks before I get back here to fish again
                    i hope this helps others as well

Comment

Sea Hag I am wondering if you have some obstruction or a faulty water pump or thermostat that is not working properly
                      the times I have looked at my temp gauge it has never been 15 degrees above the rating of the thermostat
                      Maybe others can might chime in on temp experiences But I am thinking there is another underlying problem here
                      Art

Comment

Hmmm yes I think Art is onto something there.

I have not seen my engine temp vary by more than a couple of degrees C from fast running to settling and idling around.

4000rpm is not what I call running around at high revs, certainly that is what I would call a normal cruise speed. Now, if you were running at close to 6000rpm for 15-20 minutes then I would not be surprised to see temps climb a bit and it is then wise to slow down and allow things a minute to settle.

But 4000? Nah, it should be running at normal steady temps at those revs. Water pump, thermostat cooling system needs to be investigated/changed.

Comment

I will bring these suggestions to the techs at the marina. I am running in S. Florida were the water temp is currently 80 deg F. What is the thermostat temp on these supposed to be?

Comment

That question sounds wrong. A car thermostat maintains a specific temp. What temp should the boat motor run at during normal operation? At idle, it sits at 145 deg F. Should it get much warmer?

Comment

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...001/thermostat

Part 9-1 or 9-2

Comment

Working...
                              X