making oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making oil

I know this issue has been beaten to death but in my case, this is new to me so apologies... my motor is a DF115 2005 that has about 450 hours... ran perfect last year and flushed after every outing... this year, did my yearly maintenance and put about 40 to 50 hours on it... last trip I did a 30 min run at about 5000rpm and slow down til idle after arriving at the fishing grounds, I noticed white smoke out of exhaust... at first I thought maybe is just condensation as it was foggy that day... smoke cleared after a few minutes... did some run and gun fishing along with some trolling and no issues... ran back home with no issues... got home and checked oil and found oil level was alittle above the max level... Im not sure if its water or fuel mixed in oil or if anything is? I want to think its fuel since its not milky white but if it just starting mixing, it wouldn't turn milky white right away??? what do you guys think? I did try smelling the oil but could not tell. Maybe it just started and not enough fuel to make me notice by smell??? IDK

note: Exhaust plug has been swapped to aluminum and no corrosion was present upon removal.

thanks,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by greatestfisherman; 06-06-2019, 09:13 AM.

Water would definitely make the oil Milky.

A little above full is what? 1/4", 2"s?

40-50 hours, and that Dark, I would start fresh and keep an eye on it.

Comment

exactly my thought... above full about 1/4"... when I filled the oil, I had it filled about 1/4" below the max... that's 1/2" more oil than I started... Im going to check my VST overflow and LP fuel pump which is new when I get out of work... I'm just not sure if im chasing the correct fluid by that I mean if its fuel or water that is mixing...

This is the first time experiencing anything like this so this might be a stupid question... if water mix with oil, how long does it take for it to turn milky and does it take a lot of water to oil to do so???

Comment

so I did some experiment and poured some oil into 3 clear bottles....

1 bottle contain new oil - used as control
        2 had oil from engine
        3 had oil from engine and added some water to see the reaction

after comparing the bottles, I can clearly say it is not water in my oil... as stated before it it was fuel I would of been able to smell it as 1/2" should produce some strong smell I would believe....

I still cannot determine why the oil level risen a 1/2" since oil change and why it is so dark with only 50hrs... anyone with any ideas please chime in... this one got me good...

Comment

Had a similar issue, sort of.

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...lume-2009-df90

Comment

it's usually fuel it is usually caused by the float valve out of adjustment/sticking
            when the valve keeps letting fuel run the only place it can go is into the crankcase via the overflow tube
            apsi if the seal fails on the low pressure pump may dump fuel into the crankcase as well
            the oil would be milky if it was water

Comment

its a possibility I guess... if true than that explains why my oil is so dark at 50 and 1/2" over since last change... hmmm Im hoping this the case... but when I drain my oil, I try tilting it in every direction possible to get the max out... hard to believe I missed 1/2" of oil...

on another note: Last year during my usage, if anything my oil level would be lower than when i last change it... i was told that typically due to oil burn like a car engine...

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                it's usually fuel it is usually caused by the float valve out of adjustment/sticking
                when the valve keeps letting fuel run the only place it can go is into the crankcase via the overflow tube
                apsi if the seal fails on the low pressure pump may dump fuel into the crankcase as well
                the oil would be milky if it was water
                I am aware of these possibilities... i checked my LP and no fuel leakage when priming so assume pump is good... i ran the motor with the overflow hose disconnected from the block and not a single drop... i had it idling and even at 2000 to 3000 rpm and still not a single drop... i double fuel is getting through the pistons... i checked my plugs and all are perfectly fine... no signs of wash and carbon build up...

i guess my next step is to mix some fuel with oil and see how it looks to compare it... maybe im just overthinking this...
                Last edited by greatestfisherman; 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Engine running too cold--- unburned fuel getting past rings into oil sump--- broken thermostat-- Had same problem with 45 Honda-- Called oil dilution problem(Service bulletin)

Comment

Working...
                  X