DF140 Power Tilt Switches not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Power Tilt Switches not working

I have a 2011 DF140. Both tilt switches suddenly stopped working with the motor in the down position. The switch on the engine housing seems to have lost any action----it is real loose when pressed. It used to be tighter to the touch. The throttle switch seems fine. When I operate the throttle switch I can hear the relay clicking....but the tilt motor does not start. I read in another forum to try disconnecting the engine switch and just try the helm switch. I did this by pulling out the connector at the motor.....but same result. I assume the relay is OK because I can hear it clicking. Is it possible the motor side switch is the problem---should I try just replacing that....or is it the trim motor?
    The suzuki dealer seems to thing its motor----but this involves a pull-out and 1 hr drive with a 2 week service wait......so I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible. Any feedback appreciated!

Have a read of this sticky post - I think you may find your answer there!

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...-power-failure

Comment

Thanks but it doesnt appear the White Wire is the problem as the engine starts/runs fine. Its just the Tilt Switches or PT motor. But, that post did say the Engine tilt and helm tilt switches are separate power feeds---so if one switch was broken I expect the other would work.

Comment

I had the same problem with one of my 2003 DF140s. It turned out to be the "Plug and Play" connection between the lower Cowl switch and the harness. If you can hear your relays clicking, I believe relays are not the problem. In my case it must have been simply bad contact beteween the pins in the connector. Pulling it apart and pushing it back together re-established contact and function.

Comment

I had that happen to my 07, DF140. I replaced the switch on the motor and it worked. I tried cleaning the plug connection, to no avail. Buying the part from this site saved me about 30 bucks over B** Point M***. I'm not sure if we are supposed to name other suppliers.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I disconnected the motor switch, cleaned and reconnected. Still no response from motor but the relay does click in both up/down directions from throttle and motor switches. Unfortunately its difficult to bypass the relay to test the tilt motor----because the newer models have a sealed and disposable relay block. Its looking like a trip to the dealer and possibly a new tilt motor

Comment

I’m having an issue that may be related to yours as well on my 07 DF300. My motor only trims in the down position from both the helm and motor switches. I have bypassed the limit switch and replaced the relay to no success. I have eliminated the trim motor by bypassing everything and it works no problem up and down. I’ve had two mechanics look at it and can’t figure it out either.

Comment

Originally posted by Deco911 View Post
                I’m having an issue that may be related to yours as well on my 07 DF300. My motor only trims in the down position from both the helm and motor switches. I have bypassed the limit switch and replaced the relay to no success. I have eliminated the trim motor by bypassing everything and it works no problem up and down. I’ve had two mechanics look at it and can’t figure it out either.
                '''''''''''''''''' This system is a little bit more complicated than the normal trim wiring, there is ecu input, plus it has a mini trim relay incorporated inside the wiring loom that feeds the main trim relay.

So if you are going to have a play get a wiring schematic

Comment

Originally posted by seejayw View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback. I disconnected the motor switch, cleaned and reconnected. Still no response from motor but the relay does click in both up/down directions from throttle and motor switches. Unfortunately its difficult to bypass the relay to test the tilt motor----because the newer models have a sealed and disposable relay block. Its looking like a trip to the dealer and possibly a new tilt motor
                  ''''''''''''''''''''Mate it will be a simple diagnosis, do you know how to do some simple voltage drop tests with a volt meter and test light.

Comment

Thanks. The relay block on the 2011 is different than the older models. There is a connector on it to do a bypass but very hard to reach without taking engine pieces off. I dont know where to go to do any meter tests. I got a shop manual online (free) but it only covers 2001-2008 DF140 models. I've looked around a bit for 2011 but haven't found one yet that says it covers that year. Anyone know where a good site is to get these?

Comment

Am having the same issue with a 2006 DF150. We replaced the relay, but engine will only trim down and not up. The old relay was fine. The PTT motor works fine (tilts) in both directions when the harness is removed, and the wires are jumped from a battery. I keep reading posts that a computer input could be at play here. Up until last week, it would occasionally work in the up position, but no longer. At a loss as to what could be causing this, and it's doing this from both switches (throttle and at the engine). Also tried disconnecting each switch, and still had the same result with either or. Relay clicks in the up actuation positions of both switches.

Totally baffling.

Comment

Yeah, problem is with the 2011 model is the PTT relay is a sealed/potted unit ----no easy way to bypass it as the connector is buried down in the housing well. Looks like DYI is not in the cards for me on this one.

Comment

Working...
                        X