2017 DF200 155 hours. Lost power then ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 DF200 155 hours. Lost power then ok

I have a 2017 DF200 on our 24' Triple toon boat. Once the other weekend my son had boat out and it lost power for a little bit, pulled back on throttle let idle a second then went back into it and fine rest of ride home.
    Then this last weekend, I was pulling my 8yo grand and a friend on a tube and in a turn lost power. Tried to throttle up and motor would miss and shake. Went to idle for a few seconds then back to towing and it ran great the rest of the day.

What should is the likely culprits and what to check. Have not had a chance to do much looking at. it. I did glance at filter under hood and it was fine before we went out last weekend. I was in there checking oil level and remembered son had the problem. He confirmed it acted the same week before.

Thanks,
    Don
    2017 Avalon 2485 LSZ-QL with Suzuki DF200A

please read the "White Wire" sticky
    Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
      please read the "White Wire" sticky
      Art
      Hey Artdf175, thanks for the reply. I read the WW sticky and it seems that if the WW is the issue it will die completely. Mine did not die, just a loss of rpm and power until backing off throttle and then was fine. I will check the connections just to be sure this weekend. I recently cleaned the battery terminals on one of my two batteries and also checked the connections on back of perko switch (they were clean). Also just thought of this... I was running on battery 1 one weekend and battery 2 on the other which should eliminate it being the battery or its connections.

Any other help will be appreciated. Think I will pull and replace the primary fuel filter as a precaution. Only other thing is that I had filled the tank with Non-ethanol gas from a local gas station the morning of the first event. First fill up of the year. I had left the tank full over the winter (62 gallon tank and added about 37 gallons).

Comment

Sounds like it could be a fuel problem. Is you primary filter a water separator? You mentioned checking filter under engine cover, you should have an additions fuel fuel/water separator filter.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jHydroman View Post
          Sounds like it could be a fuel problem. Is you primary filter a water separator? You mentioned checking filter under engine cover, you should have an additions fuel fuel/water separator filter.

Jim
          Thanks jHydrman. I do not have a water fuel separator filter. Only the ones on the engine. Not sure why it dont have one. Thinking I may add that.

Comment

My problem with the white wire started exacatly as you described - until it died completely
            This prompted me to do the write up on the WW problem you see on the Sticky.

my WW connects with a 6 inch pigtail off the battery switch
            the wires at that point were corroded out- but until I pulled on the wiring and the pigtail pulled out of the connector - it looked normal
            to check the integrity of the wire inside the connection - the connector will probably need replacing.
            The ECM will shut down with the slightest interruption of power - but if the power returns while the engine is shutting down - it will keep running. so imperative to check all joining points
            Given your explanation regarding fuel - it is possible but not probable. pull one of the fuel lines and pump out a quart into a jar and look for water.
            Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
              My problem with the white wire started exacatly as you described - until it died completely
              This prompted me to do the write up on the WW problem you see on the Sticky.

my WW connects with a 6 inch pigtail off the battery switch
              the wires at that point were corroded out- but until I pulled on the wiring and the pigtail pulled out of the connector - it looked normal
              to check the integrity of the wire inside the connection - the connector will probably need replacing.
              The ECM will shut down with the slightest interruption of power - but if the power returns while the engine is shutting down - it will keep running. so imperative to check all joining points
              Given your explanation regarding fuel - it is possible but not probable. pull one of the fuel lines and pump out a quart into a jar and look for water.
              Art
              Thanks Art, I will check both of these this weekend. Our boat is at our River house and we will not be back there until Friday pm. Mine did not completely die either time. just a loss of power and when I throttled up it went to missing and shaking so I throttled down to idle for a minute or two then right back to working perfect the rest of the day. I will check all connections and fuel quality. Thanks agan!

Comment

Update....
                Pulled cowl and removed fuel filter and bowl. No water in it and filter very easy to blow through.
                While I had it off, pumped out about a pint of gas and let it sit, No water visible.

Found white wire and it is attached to the Starter post and has a fuse there close. End terminal is good and clean as well as fuse, and fuse contacts inside the fuse holder.

Ran boat Saturday for for 12 or so miles, sat for a while and then 3 other short 1 mile runs with no problems. Sunday we ran it for about 76 miles non stop with no issues

Hoping it was just some kind of fuel issue. I have run it now to below 1/4 tank and will be refilling before the 4th and see what if any problems pop up again.

Thank you both for input!

Don

Comment

Originally posted by BigDfromTN View Post
                  Update....
                  Pulled cowl and removed fuel filter and bowl. No water in it and filter very easy to blow through.
                  While I had it off, pumped out about a pint of gas and let it sit, No water visible.

Found white wire and it is attached to the Starter post and has a fuse there close. End terminal is good and clean as well as fuse, and fuse contacts inside the fuse holder.

Ran boat Saturday for for 12 or so miles, sat for a while and then 3 other short 1 mile runs with no problems. Sunday we ran it for about 76 miles non stop with no issues

Hoping it was just some kind of fuel issue. I have run it now to below 1/4 tank and will be refilling before the 4th and see what if any problems pop up again.

Thank you both for input!

Don
                  Don, are you saying that the white wire is connected to the engine’s starter motor + post??

Or did you mean the main starting battery switch + post?

And make sure you get that water separating fuel filter installed between the primer bulb ASAP. Any dirt, water or gunk that gets into the VST, HP fuel pump or injectors is going to cost $$$ to clean out and repair.
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-24-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X