Suzuki DT65 cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DT65 cooling

Hello,a friend of mine asked me to look at a DT65. I had been in storage for more than 10 years so it needed a new impeller.
    There were pieces missing from the old impeller. I placed a complete rebuild kit and put everything back together. I placed a large container with water
    under the engine to test it. When I started it up There was water coming from te pee hole but this stopped after a few minits. There is water cuming from the other
    discharge hole. Now I noticed there is a stream of water cumming from a notch that is in the flange from the lower end where it bolts to te upper part. This is where the water pump is. Is this normal?
    Must al the water not go from the pump through the tube to the power block? Is it possible that the cooling systeem is blocked somwhere and the water finds its way out trough this opening? Someone told me to take the head of,is this a good idea?

regards tim

First off, is the pump below the water level in the container, at least 3" lower before starting? If the water is not above the pump, you will possibly burn up the new impeller. It has to be in water any time the flywheel moves, water is its only lubrication. If impeller hasn't been damaged from low water level, you should have good flow from tell-tale, if not try running a stiff weed-eater line (monofilament) in tell-tale hole while running to see if it is blocked.

Second, if the motor sat for that long, you should only run it on pre-mix gas & oil (75:1 mix) until you are certain level of oil in the tank is being used, this protects the insides, and won't hurry anything.

If you're worried about blockage, remove the thermostat and put air, or water pressure into thermostat housing, with the empty container under foot to catch the water (motor not running). Flush, or blow it out well to see if anything comes out. This works better if lower unit is not on the motor.

If container is large enough add 3-5 gals of vinegar in container and run motor for a couple hours in solution (if solution gets too hot let it cool down, and run again till hot, until you have run for 2 hours. This should clean out water pas-sages.

Avoid removing head until you are certain it has to be pulled, and only after getting all parts to re-install it completely, most parts are not made anymore?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.
    Last edited by Solarman; 06-19-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I had similar problems I ended up taking the water jacket and head off my DT55 and was slammed full of sand.cleaned it out and replaced gasgits runs like champ be careful not to snap bolts! Can get parts at brownspointsusuke.com

Comment

Working...
      X