Correct connections? DF140 4 Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct connections? DF140 4 Stroke

Purchased a 2005 JC Tri-Toon 246 with a DF 140 4 Stroke.
    Replaced the batteries but should've taken a picture of the connections to the batteries.
    Correctly wired the batteries to the battery switch, But I have a molded harness with two wires that were connected directly to the batteries.
    This appears to be a factory harness and I assume its part of the engine harness. Two wires with factory terminal ends . One is black (B), the other is black with white tracer (B/W).
    My initial thought is "B" to ground and "B/W" to + Pos. ?
    When I connect it this way I get Illumination of my control panel switches even with the main BAT switch in off position?
    Any help with correct connections?
    This maybe a two fold issue with some feedback through my dash switches so want to confirm correct battery connections first.

usually you can tell by the bends in the wire which terminal the fit onto originally
    Trace the wires down and find where the other of
    each terminate
    the only wire in my boat that does not go through the battery switch is to the bilge pump with a float valve

Comment

I agree and tried that first. Unfortunately the two wires , Black & Black with white tracer disappear into the harness. I've been unable to locate them in the helm console. Tried using SELOC repair manual for Suzuki but the wire diagram is one of the worst I've tried to follow. I have a 20 AMP fused wire off the bat switch so I'm not sure if both of these are for grounds. The white tracer has me confused. I blew both fuses on the radio ( 1 amp memory and 15 amp pwr) so I believe I caused the feedback by putting the B/W to the positive + side. The console switches are illuminated when the B/W is attached to + as well ( BAT switched off and key off) Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

My thoughts are... both are grounds. Especially with the dash controls lighting up and blowing the fuses. Once you figure it out, zip tie them all together for future use.
        2017 Avalon 2485 LSZ-QL with Suzuki DF200A

Comment

Update. I was able to locate one of the wires in the helm console connections. when I opened the connection it showed that B/W wire went to a dead end in the connector. One side had the wire and a pin that was never used. The female side was blank with no wire in place.
          It appears the wires are both grounds and I've hooked them up that way for now.
          Checked and cleaned the BAT switch and found no corrosion or issues.
          replaced both fuses to the radio and it also works fine ( thank goodness for fuses!)
          Trim works on motor and helm
          Turn key and tach reads engine hours and all indicator lights are working.
          Engine starts with no hesitation
          Thats all the good...

Now the bad:
          No guages are working. No trim, no fuel guage for main or res tanks ( one guage with swich for tanks) No Battery voltage showing .
          looking for fuses but a thundershower stopped my progress. Will resume search tomorrow.

Did confirm my engine harness is NOT the same as the SELOC repair manual. I would never buy another one of these manuals.
          Just to be clear . The Pontoon is a 2005 But the outboard is a 2004 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke.

Thank you for the helpful suggestions

Comment

Working...
          X