Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF90A getting 2800 RPM @ WOT

Hello All,

Just joined- I've been reading some posts and it sounds like there are a lot of people much smarter than me in here. So here is my dilemma... I have a new to me 2010 DF90A with about 800 hrs. I just bought the boat a few weeks ago. I launched the boat and she will not run above 2800 RPM. It seems to run fine up until that point, but I have the throttle pegged and 2800 RPM is all I get. My first thought was that it was an issue with the fuel supply. Yesterday I ran the engine directly off of a jerry can with fresh fuel and encountered the same issue. I checked the primer bulb and it was nice and hard so the engine seems to be getting enough fuel? Any ideas? Thanks in advance! -Eric

Also should mention that I am not getting any warning lights or sounds. Oil & Filter were just changed as well as the Fuel/Water Separator and the small blue Fuel Filter on the engine. Thanks!

Comment

These engines have a system that prevents revving over about 3000rpm if there are certain faults.

One of them is the neutral throttle switch on the gear linkages. Its not unknown for that switch to fail - which means the engines ecu then does not get the signal that engine is in gear - it then restricts fuel and spark to stop the engine revving past 3000rpm. It is like a race car with the pit lane limiter activated!

The switch is not expensive or difficult to replace. If you go to the parts section on this forum and put ypur engine details in, it takes you to a page where with a bit of digging you should be able to find the details of the switch you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
        These engines have a system that prevents revving over about 3000rpm if there are certain faults.

One of them is the neutral throttle switch on the gear linkages. Its not unknown for that switch to fail - which means the engines ecu then does not get the signal that engine is in gear - it then restricts fuel and spark to stop the engine revving past 3000rpm. It is like a race car with the pit lane limiter activated!

The switch is not expensive or difficult to replace. If you go to the parts section on this forum and put ypur engine details in, it takes you to a page where with a bit of digging you should be able to find the details of the switch you need.
        Sorry posted in wrong thread.
        Last edited by rhumbaclave; 06-25-2019, 08:00 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread.

Comment

Moonlighter, thanks for the info. I just ordered the neutral switch and will give that a try- it’s a fairly cheap part so not much to lose even if it doesn’t work. I’ll post an update after I get the new switch installed. Thanks again.

Comment

Thought I would post an update here in case anyone is curious. So, I still have not received the Neutral Switch, BUT I decided to change the spark plugs yesterday simply out of desperation and because it's easy and cheap. Took the boat for a ride afterwards and she ran perfectly! I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but I'm a happy man for now...

Comment

If the spark plugs were shot one has to wonder what else might be in need of maintenance?

Comment

It's pretty common for the motor mounted neutral switch to get out of adjustment, maybe changing the plugs "jiggled" it a bit to now be OK? might pay to look at it now, just in case.

Comment

Working...
                X