Engine Stopped & Wont’t Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Stopped & Wont’t Start

I have a 2015 Suzuki DF-60A and was trolling this weekend when the engine puttered out and would not restart. My boat is a 2006 Arima with a 16 gallon fuel tank that originally came with the boat. I have religiously only used non-ethanol fuel and always flush the engine after every use. I also use fuel additives when storing fuel for longer periods (winter). I have performed all maintenance myself which has mainly only been oil changes up to this point. I have the service manual and have attempted some trouble shooting. The high pressure fuel pump is making a clicking sound when the ignition is engaged. I attempted to pressure check the fuel rail but not totally sure I performed this correctly. My external fuel filter is a couple years old so I have replaced that, and will be replacing the internal Suzuki fuel filter here shortly. I was wondering what others thought might be going wrong and where I might look next?

Your high pressure fuel pump should hum for 3-5 seconds not click. You didn’t note what your fuel pressure results were.

Comment

My bad, it’s actually a couple second hum coming from the high pressure fuel pump. Does that mean it’s operating correctly or just getting electricity? I currently don’t have a pressure gauge and the proper fittings. Is there another way to test the high pressure pump? Can I remove the fuel line coming out of the VST or is that not recommended? Any help is much appreciated.

Comment

That clicking noise you refer to when you engage the ignition, could it be caused by a weak battery or a poor connection? Suzuki’s need a strong battery. The fuel pump hums so the pump is getting a signal and power. Are the injectors actually getting fuel? After cranking the engine a few times pull a spark plug a check for fuel on the plug. In your service manual there is a list of things to check for not/hard starting. You used the term “puttered out” which indicates to me your issue is likely a fuel supply so you are looking in the right direction. Do change the internal fuel filter first you previously mentioned.

Comment

Can you see into the bottom of your 2006 fuel tank? Any debris sitting on the bottom that your fuel pickup might be sucking up?

Comment

When you say internal filter, are you meaning the low pressure element, high pressure cannister or vst pump filter?

Comment

Murray, thanks for your responses. The battery is a brand new fully charged battery. I still haven’t got to the injectors and the fuel rail does not have the screw at the top of the rail to unscrew and check. I will be changing the spark plugs and low pressure fuel filter this weekend. Since the motor is so new I’m really thinking it’s a fuel supply issue. I have made a Suzuki dealer appointment for 8/20 but I can’t really wait that long. I’m thinking about taking the fuel tank out and cleaning and re-installing it this weekend. I will keep you updated with what I find out.

Comment

Also, one thing to add, when you try to start the motor it feels like it’s getting no fuel or the ignition kill switch is not attached—for those that know the feeling.

Comment

Is the engine turning over strongly when you engage the ignition key?
                  what is the condition of the fuel bulb? pumped up and hard so it doesn't pump any further?
                  one other thing I can think of would be the fuel float in the high pressure fuel pump.
                  and did you attempt to drain the reservoir?

Art

Comment

Originally posted by koopa253 View Post
                    My bad, it’s actually a couple second hum coming from the high pressure fuel pump. Does that mean it’s operating correctly or just getting electricity? I currently don’t have a pressure gauge and the proper fittings. Is there another way to test the high pressure pump? Can I remove the fuel line coming out of the VST or is that not recommended? Any help is much appreciated.
                    Being able to test the high pressure side is important because it tells you a lot about the system! I went to harbor freight and got a fuel pressure gauge for $19.00 and got it done! You can also go to automotive stores like pepboys , Napa, and usually they will let you use a fuel pressure gauge.

If you want to see how I hooked mine up, let me know.
                    BG

Comment

Originally posted by koopa253 View Post
                      Murray, thanks for your responses. The battery is a brand new fully charged battery. I still haven’t got to the injectors and the fuel rail does not have the screw at the top of the rail to unscrew and check. I will be changing the spark plugs and low pressure fuel filter this weekend. Since the motor is so new I’m really thinking it’s a fuel supply issue. I have made a Suzuki dealer appointment for 8/20 but I can’t really wait that long. I’m thinking about taking the fuel tank out and cleaning and re-installing it this weekend. I will keep you updated with what I find out.
                      I have a bolt on the bottom of my fuel rail, no mention of bottom bolt in my Service Manual. I don’t see why a person couldn’t hook up a fuel pressure gauge at the bottom bolt instead of Teeing into the top as per the Service Manual instructions, that is if you have a bottom bolt. In my case taking the fuel tank out would be way too much work, I pulled the fuel gauge sending unit out and used a flashlight to inspect the tank. Have you read and answered Artdf175 questions?

Comment

I have experienced similar issues on my 140A few days ago. I was also convinced that fuel delivery was the issue.
                        Did you tried to put it in neutral gear and add some throttle before ignition? If it starts ok in this way and then stalls when you try to return the throttle to neutral position it could be the failed IAC issue. In my case it was the IAC and burned ECM. The engine runs well but cannot be started in neutral position and cannot idle. I hope that you have more luck.
                        Last edited by alfazuke; 08-12-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Art, the engine turns over strongly but you can tell it’s not getting any fuel and does not want to start. The fuel bulb is in pretty good condition being it’s the original fuel. I don’t usually have to pump the bulb when starting but I have been making sure it’s fully pumped and holding its seal. I drained the vst reservoir and the fuel was really clean. I’m gonna try to get a fuel pressure gauge off the vst this weekend.

Comment

Alfazuke, I tried what you described right after the engine died and I was able to get the engine to start for a few seconds before it puttered out and died. I will give your recommendation another shot. Thanks for chiming in as well.

Comment

Murray, the first thing I looked for was the bolt on my fuel rail because I wanted to loosen it to see if fuel would spray out but my rail has no bolt on the top or button. I will post up a picture this evening.

Comment

Working...
                              X