No announcement yet.

Engine Stopped & Wont’t Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a video to upload hear to show how the engine sounds and won’t start but it seems to not let you upload videos. Anyway to get around this....

Comment

I pressured tested the high pressure line coming out of the vst and there was zero fuel pressure between the vst and fuel pipe. Just hoping I did everything correctly. Because the engine won’t start I had to turn the ignition to on (not start) 3 to 5 times to attempt to prime the high pressure pump and fuel rail. I also made sure the build was firm and I can see that all other filters are full. Any ideas how I could drill down farther to like the low pressure pump? Is it common for the fuel pumps to go out with around 300 hours? Any other thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.

Comment

Any idea what the white connecter is with the white wires coming out both ends? I was curious if possibly this was an in-line fuse holder but I’m unable to get it to budge/move 1 mm and I don’t want to break it if no fuse is inside.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a fuse holder to me. Your low pressure fuel pump fills the VST to a predetermined level via a needle and float. You drained the VST so the low pressure fuel pump is working, your high pressure pump hums when you turn the key to on so it sounds like it’s working. You have no fuel pressure but you aren’t sure if you did the fuel pressure procedure correctly. After cranking the engine over a few times pull a spark plug and check for a wet plug. Is fuel actually getting to the spark plug? With zero fuel pressure your plugs should be dry. Inside the VST there is a fuel filter on the suction side of the high pressure pump, maybe it’s plugged if your plugs are dry. Your taking your boat to the shop tomorrow, some shops will let you hang out with the mechanic while he/she works on it, if they allow customers in the shop you will learn lots.

Comment

UPDATE: The culprit turned out to be a fared very small white wire on the main harness. The harness/wire is located at the rear of the engine. The wire rubbed off its outer cover by rubbing up against the couling. For others out there this is a 2014 Suzuki 60 hp. I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens to others as there is no room between the harness wires and couling. What’s nice is that we had an extended warranty on our engine so the harness is being replaced for $50. Really appreciate all who took the time to chime in.

Comment

That white wire provides power to the ecu. If it is in poor condition, I think you meant to say FRAYED, all sorts of problems happen. It is a critical part of the harness as you can imagine.

It can be simply repaired if damaged. Hopefully yours can be cable tied in a way that prevents it being damaged in future.

The wire should, if its the same as other motors, be connected at the other end to the + terminal on the main start battery switch, or possibly direct to the start battery + battery post. So worth checking that connection and make sure its clean, tight and no corrosion in the wire. (Some installers shortcut the connection and instead of going back into the boat, connected it to the + post on the starter motor. But that almost always leads to problems due to voltage drops and spikes so is a bad idea.

At the top of this forum is a thread Art wrote re Suzuki white wire and problems. Worth a read.

Comment

I researched the white wire quite heavily and read Art’s article several times. Although my boat is not setup how you describe Arts post really helped me focus on the white wire and I was actually able to find the frayed wire when changing out the impeller—definitely saving time and money with the Suzuki dealer. Moonlighter, Art, and Murray; I really appreciate all the time you take to provide very meaningful feedback here. I will try to be more active and have a couple more questions that I might post up too. Thanks!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out, the term “puttered out” as opposed to something like stopped dead had me convinced it was a fuel issue. If nothing else you are more familiar with your fuel system.

Comment

Murray - it was the white wire that feeds the high pressure fuel pump.

Comment

glad you were able to find the wire problem. electrical things are very difficult to run down .
                      your white wire to the high pressure pump is altogether different than the white wire problem I described on the sticky
                      The bottom line is just one more thing to consider when a system fails.
                      Appreciate staying with it and letting us all know of your solution
                      Art

Comment

Working...
                      X