Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown ECU from Tilt/Trim?

Howdy all,

I have a 2010 Suzuki DF70A. Was at boat ramp running engine before taking out next morning. She was purring fine and I adjusted the tilt and she sputtered and stalled. No power at starter switch. Check fuses, Blown 30 amp ecm/fuel pump/ tilt fuse and a smell of burned something. Not tilt, no start but have all helm accessory power. Found a burned smelly fluid on side near ecu. Pulled ecu and see crack in side of housing. My question before dropping big money on new ecu, is there a tilt relay or motor issue that caused the ecu to blow? Looking through diagrams, it seems tilt relay is powered through ecu.

Thanks for any assistance,

Spencer

Can't say for sure if this applies to your DF70A, but yes, there are reverse relays for the PTT mounted next to the ECU on my 2003 DF140s. Check the schmatics for your engine in the parts look up section.

Yep, looks like it is. Go here. https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...e-control-unit
    Last edited by Ole Joe; 08-04-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I saw the relay, I'm wondering what caused the ecu to burn up. Did tilt motor or relay cause failure or is it something else. I can't spend $1400 on ecu to have it burn up again.

Comment

I think you need to talk to a experienced Suzuki mechanic and ask them to talk to their regional Suzuki tech rep if they havent personally got any knowledge about this. I agree that you want to find out the root cause before you stick a new or even used ecu on there and risk blowing it up too.

To the best of my recollection, I have only seen a handful of blown 4 stroke ecu’s reported on this forum and others such as THT, and they were all on DF115A’s from about 2015/16, and were caused by a fault with the IAC valve. One of them was a personal friend of mine. All had symptoms of IAC failure before the ecu failed. And even then, it was not a smoke and burn failure, the ecu’s were sent off and were able to be repaired.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter.

Comment

Originally posted by STxFishing View Post
            Howdy all,

I have a 2010 Suzuki DF70A. Was at boat ramp running engine before taking out next morning. She was purring fine and I adjusted the tilt and she sputtered and stalled. No power at starter switch. Check fuses, Blown 30 amp ecm/fuel pump/ tilt fuse and a smell of burned something. Not tilt, no start but have all helm accessory power. Found a burned smelly fluid on side near ecu. Pulled ecu and see crack in side of housing. My question before dropping big money on new ecu, is there a tilt relay or motor issue that caused the ecu to blow? Looking through diagrams, it seems tilt relay is powered through ecu.

Thanks for any assistance,

Spencer
            there is a capacitor mounted next to the computer if that shorts to ground it will blow the thirty amp fuse, the computer does not have liquid inside of it

Comment

Working...
            X