2006 DF225 - motor died at WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 DF225 - motor died at WOT

Recently had the IAC Valve replaced, new plugs, and water pump kit installed and this was the first full lake day with the boat since that service. The reason we'd taken it in was difficulty idling, thus the new IAC valve.

So the sequence of events leading up to the problem was:
    Ran the boat for approx 20 minutes from our slip. Prob 90-95% throttle. Did fine.
    Ran the boat for approx 30 minutes. Prob 90-95% throttle. Did fine.
    Ran the boat for another approx 30 minutes. Prob 90-95% throttle. Did fine.
    Near the end of the day started the boat and idled 4-5 minutes while we moved away from other boats we were around. Accelerated to WOT. Probably a minute after WOT, the motor went back to idle speed on its own (immediate) and prob a couple seconds later died. Tried to start 5-6 times and would immediately die. Each time I'd turn the key to full 'off' for a 15-20 seconds before trying again. A few times I used the throttle to take out of gear to try to start at a higher throttle. Then after a few minutes of that, it did start and idle fine, and we took it back to the dock. I didn't run full out though...ran at 4000-4500 RPM. Ran fine. Idled fine when we got back the idle zone and idled fine all the way back to the slip.

Have not been able to get the boat out again to see if it re-occurs. Looking for some advice on if anyone has seen this problem and any recommendations.

May be starving for fuel, did you noticed if the fuel primer bulb was sucked flat(fuel restriction)? Did you try pumping fuel primer when trying to get it started? Drain a sample of fuel from VST to see if has trash or water in VST.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I did not think to look at the bulb or pump it.

Thank you for the suggestion on checking fuel out of the VST. We will do that. Will also replace the on-motor fuel filter and see how that looks.

Our boat is as a location we only get to every few weeks, so sorting out problems takes awhile. Thinking about buying the Suzuki SDS kit so we can get information out of th engine.

Comment

Working...
      X