Oil on top cover of DF250 by breather tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil on top cover of DF250 by breather tubes

I have a recently purchased 22' Sea Sport with a 2016 Suzuki DF250 outboard. It has 280 hours and my plan was to do the annual maintenance before I put it in the water. I pulled the top cowling off tonight to do the spark plugs, and that went very well. I have a Ford F150 that also uses coil-over-plugs, so I am familiar with the concept and the change was quick and easy. However, I noticed on the very top cover of the motor where the air intake is, there was a bit of oil up around various places on it. Mostly on the edges of it, but some on top. Upon further inspection, I noticed what I think are the PCV breather tubes on either side of the motor had a bit of oil near the bottom of them by the hose clamp. I am planning on replacing both breather tubes, and the hose clamps, and would also like to do the PCV valve, but am not sure where it is located. The manual was not super helpful for location. But I am a little worried about the oil on the top of this cover. Any thoughts on it? I found one other, old thread, that talked about possible exhaust blowback causing oil to shoot out of here, but didn't know if anyone had any other ideas? I doubt the pcv valve or any of the tubes have ever been replaced, but I can't say for sure. It is not an excessive amount of oil, and the engine oil level is completely fine and looks to be in good shape. Any idea on what this could be and what I should look for? Just start with PCV system replacement since I was going to do that anyway?

Thanks in advance.

In the pics below you can see the shiny areas that were a thin layer of oil. Hope those will help solve the problem here. Thanks again.
    Attached Files

Comment

I am wondering whether it could have been from running it while in the tilt-up position? We did this in the seller's yard initially before taking it out to a lake to run. Does running it in tilt affect anything?

Comment

I have an 08 with about 550 hours and it does the same thing.

Comment

If it is a very little than don't worry. Mine does the same.
          Regards, Martin
          DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
          X