2018 DF25A "Surges" after initial 10 Hr oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 DF25A "Surges" after initial 10 Hr oil Change

Hi guys, I have just done the initial oil change after "Breaking the motor in". It has about 12 hours on it. I just took it out and it starts and idles fine, but the minute you try to give it gas at all, it "Surges" (for lack of better terms). The gas, tank, line and fittings are all good and stored inside. No old gas or any of that. Im a nut for ethanol free 91 and stabilizer.The oil light has been reset. This "rum, rum, rum" surging occurs in neutral or in gear. Some lady at one of the marinas told me that the oil has to be below the halfway mark on the dipstick since the 4 strokes are really finicky?? Its still under warranty, but my problem is that the nearest authorized dealer is over two hours away! I would hate to go all the way there for a simple fix!! Thanks for any help...

That advice doesn’t make sense to me. The Suzuki engineers have put the dip stick mark there for a reason.

Comment

That is precisely what I thought. It was really weird though that she would take the time to make up such an elaborate answer. She said that the initial fill (dry) was supposed to be 48 ounces. Oil changes after that should only be "43 ounces, which is a little less than half on the dipstick". She went on to say that the 4 stokes were very sensitive to this. Now, my Harley works that way, you read it HOT and it is actually about half way when cold. Even if there is some truth to this, what in the world does a high oil level trigger?? Is there a high oil level rev limiter?? I didn't think so. The Suzuki tech line got back to me and just wanted to refer it to a service center because it is probably varnish. I just about jumped through the phone at this canned answer. I only use fresh non ethanol with a stabilizer and it ran fine 2 weeks ago. This started with the oil change......

Comment

Possibly a fuel line/sensor wire was disturbed during the maintenance and causing you grief?

Comment

Well, a fuel line disruption would have gas squirting all over the place when I kept pumping the bulb. Sensor wire?? Ill look for anything loose...

Comment

Between the low pressure pump and the fuel tank would be a suction situation. You could be sucking air into the fuel stream, it wouldn’t take much air to throw the system out of kilter.

Comment

It sounds to me as though the motor doesn't know it's in gear. If I raise the "fast idle lever" on my DF25AR with the motor in neutral, it will do what I believe you are describing. It will speed up to some limiting RPM, then "bog down" to some lower RPM, then speed up again, etc. It's rev-limited when not in gear. I don't know what the limiting RPM is, probably 2000 or mayb2500 RPM. I assume it running normally before you changed the oil?

Comment

Yes, it was running great. Changed the oil and this happened. Even at idle, it sounds a bit rougher like its running on two cylinders. Just inch up the throttle and "rum, rum, rum, rum". Not even time for a bog down. Well, last night, I took the advice of the crazy lady at the Marina and dumped the oil (I wanted to use Amzoil anyway) and changed the filter again. Nothing, no difference, same problem. I should have known better than to listen to someone that says "below halfway on the dots". At any rate, I called Suzuki and they are sending a referral to the dealer. I will make the long trek there tomorrow and leave it for a week until I can return. The nice thing is that Suzuki technical will be hounding them because they want to know what it is too. I will update this thread when I have an answer. Hopefully I can help someone else out. My luck, it will be a stupid little switch that none of the 9 mechanics I called could answer!!!

Comment

Suzuki repair place has called. Motor is done. they found NOTHING wrong!! Put it on a code reader and it was clean. Put it in the lake and it ran perfectly. They said that they checked all the wiring connections and "may have" tightened a loose one? Intermittent functionality of the neutral safety switch (preventing over revving) is the suspected culprit. This is just my luck..8 hours of driving for nothing! That damn thing is going to fail again, so I am making a jumper wire set up to bypass the switch if it pulls that stunt again. There is a boat ramp right by the repair place and its going in before I drive all the way home!!
                  I will certainly post back here if there is anything to update, especially if it fails on my trout trip next month!

Comment

Working...
                  X