New 150ss Suzuki 4 Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 150ss Suzuki 4 Stroke

While in break-in period with only 6 hours the motor smoked so badly on start up I could hardly see it. I called dealer and he said not to worry about it because it has 6 year warranty. I told him I was very concerned about it doing that. I checked oil and it is at 3/4 on the dip stick. Waiting til 20 hours to take it in for first scheduled maintenance.
    Anyone else ever have that happen?

I've just got the regular 150 and only have 4 hrs on it. No smoke and oil is the same as day 1.

Comment

I think its a bit early to be concerned - while perhaps unusual, your experience is evidence of why there is a break-in. You may want to run it harder for frequent short periods (say 5-10 min at WOT) to help seat the rings - at least that is what I would do. And you don't have to wait 'till 20 hours for a service - for my F150 Yamaha I changed the oil and filter myself at 10 hrs - quite easy to do and made me sleep better.

Ray
      Ray
      2004 DF50

Comment

When the motor is not being used, how is it stored? Tilted up, or dropped down so it is vertical? Ideally it should be dropped down so it is vertical, will minimise issues such as you have reported.

That said, unless it was overfilled, you shouldnt be getting so much smoke. A small puff is not unusual, though.

Has it settled down now, or still smoking very noticeably??

Comment

Originally posted by Minner View Post
          While in break-in period with only 6 hours the motor smoked so badly on start up I could hardly see it. I called dealer and he said not to worry about it because it has 6 year warranty. I told him I was very concerned about it doing that. I checked oil and it is at 3/4 on the dip stick. Waiting til 20 hours to take it in for first scheduled maintenance.
          Anyone else ever have that happen?
          '''''''' I would be a bit concerned if I just bought a new motor and it was blowing out a lot of smoke at start up. Unless it is way over full because the dip stick is not at the right height, or as moonlighter said, something is not right, drain the oil and make sure the right amount is in the engine and the right oil. Pull the plugs out and have a look and see if it is one cyl or all.

Comment

Alright. It has been quite awhile since my last post about my 150SS smoking at start up and it now has around 250 hours on it. It will not smoke on initial start up while backing off the trailer but only after I'm on the lake fishing. It smoked a week ago but the next 5 times out it did not smoke. Yesterday however it smoked quite noticeably two different times. The dealer says don't worry, it's under warranty. Suzuki says it is not excessive oil consumption because the oil level only goes down an inch on the dip stick per hundred hours run. The dealer ran a leak test with no problem found. Any input on this? Thanks

Comment

I have a 2009 DF 90A, it has never smoked nor have I ever had to add oil between oil changes. When moored the engine is tilted up out of the water. The grandchildren run it hard pulling skiers and tubes and we also troll with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger07 View Post
                Alright. It has been quite awhile since my last post about my 150SS smoking at start up and it now has around 250 hours on it. It will not smoke on initial start up while backing off the trailer but only after I'm on the lake fishing. It smoked a week ago but the next 5 times out it did not smoke. Yesterday however it smoked quite noticeably two different times. The dealer says don't worry, it's under warranty. Suzuki says it is not excessive oil consumption because the oil level only goes down an inch on the dip stick per hundred hours run. The dealer ran a leak test with no problem found. Any input on this? Thanks

Did the dealer check and if required adjust the valve clearances at the 200hr service?

Pretty sure that is a required action at 200hrs and it may have something to do with the smoking. If its not done Suzuki may not play ball with subsequent related warranty cliams.

Comment

Don't leave it trimmed fully in when off. Oil _will_ be at back of pistons etc during normal running. If you trim full in then shut off, the oil trying to drip back into the case drips into cylinders and pools up behind pistons. Over time this seeps past rings settling into the combustion side. If tiled just a hair out, this same oil landing on the cylinder walls trickles towards the crank and drains nicely into the case.. If you don't believe oil will seep past the rings, try starting a car motor when the car has been on its roof for a few hours, enough oil in that case goes to the wrong side to hydro lock the motor.. In a boat motor the cylinders run front to back not up/down so they need to be allowed to drain towards the crank, not towards the head.....

Comment

Latest update. At 300 hours I took it 120 miles back to Dealer. In that 200-300 hour period oilwas down 2" on dipstick. They told me Suzuki Tech said to buy Techron and mix with gas and run wide open until tank was on empty. I brought boat home and then took cowling off to check oil level and make sure I didnt see any problems under cowling. I should have done it at dealership since the oil level was way above full. I called dealer and he said he was going to go out to the shop and chew some butt. I told him after he did that to write me a check for $100 to drain extra oil out since that was the rate he charged me. Of course that didnt happen. I drained over 3 quarts too much oil out of cankcase.
                    ​​​​​​ . The motor has around 60 hours on this service and is already down over 2" on dipstick. I called down to tell dealer only to find out he went out of business. I called Suzuki and they tell me to find another Suzuki dealer. Ih how I wish I would have bought another Yamaha when I repowered.
                    . Im going to wait until I reach 400 hours , find another dealer and try to get a higher service rep on the phone
                    . Im just over 3 years on 6 year warranty.

Comment

this is a very bad sign
                      time to take it in under warranty to a very respected dealer
                      do it in the off season when you have time to give it to a 'real' mechanic not a dealer that sells engines and changes oil..........
                      I can only suspect a major overhaul will be needed to fix this lemon
                      I am going to see if I can find you a link to read on my experience
                      Art

Comment

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...ilt-2006-df175

Art

Comment

Thank you everyone for your posts.
                          artdf175---- that was interesting when you said to take it to a 'real' mechanic. we have a dealer close by but brand new so may bite the bullet and tow it 200 miles north to a dealer I heard was very good.
                          . cant help but think I am in for a major battle ith Suzuki. Battles Marine in Panama City is where I bought it and felt they would be there to take care of any problems. Wrong!!! They told me they did a leak test and everything checked out ok .
                          ​​​ . i wish i could sell it right now but dont want to give this headache to anyone else.

Comment

I dont even have 100 hours on this service and the oil level is down 2 1/2" on the dipstick. That's almost to the add level. I called the dealer where I purchased the 150S new and that have closed their doors. Just what I needed from thr man that promised me he wss there to take care of all of my outboard issues !! I tried to call Suzuki but they tell me to take it to a dealer. Where is a knowledgeable dealer? Frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                            X