DF140 runs out of fuel on hole shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 runs out of fuel on hole shot

On my 2009 DF140 I keep having problems with it running out of fuel on hole shot. This will happen 8 out of 10 times when I take off. I pump the fuel bulb on initial start up and do OK as long as it is running. Can run a few miles or many. When i stop to fish an area like a slick of where i see bait or birds working, say 10 min or more and then as I try to take off, it will run maybe a few hundred yards before it starts to die, It runs out of fuel. Pump the bulb or have some pump it while Im taking off and the bulb stays hard.
    OK, so I have changed every thing from the tank to the low pressure fuel pump. No leaks. It acts like there is an air leak in the fuel line and lets fuel siphon back. But if I had an air leak, i would think there would be a gas leak when I pressure up by pumping the bulb. Im lost on what to check next. Should I go to low pressure pump and beyond? Are there other places to have an air leak to cause this to happen? All thoughts and answers are appreciated.

You changed everything from tank to LP fuel pump - meaning you replaced the fuel lines?
    Checked the fuel filter in the high pressure fuel pump?
    Tank venting? Critters can make nests in the tank vent plugging it so when the fuel pumps fuel out a vacuum is created and starves out the engine

I have heard some tanks have some sort of an anti siphon device that Sometimes fails and again starves the engine
    Art

Comment

Replace the high pressure fuel filter.

Comment

Thanks, I will check out the two suggestions.

Comment

Does it only happen after the engine has been shut off? If so, it could be the vapor lock problem that Suzuki has been fooling with for years. The only solution I have heard of is an electric fuel pump along with a pressure regulator. Apparently the low pressure pump does a poor job of pumping vapor generated in the fuel line while a hot engine sets. There is a new low pressure fuel pump with a V in the part number. I have not heard if it is supposed to solve the vapor lock problem. I would love to hear what the new pump design is supposed to accomplish.

Comment

Well I guess I just gave up and took the motor to a mechanic. Thought I had found the problem. Replaced the low pressure fuel pump, cleaned the filters and took it for a test run. Did not pump the bulb when I left the dock. She ran like a champ and never hesitated. Ran about 2 miles and shut it down to do some casting. Tilted the motor some since I was in shallow water and after about 10 minutes stopped and was going to run back to the dock. Got the boat on top and she ran about a mile and died. Ran out of fuel just like before. Man what a bummer.
            I guess we will change everything in the fuel system up to the injectors and hopefully it will run like it should.
            Will post up after the mechanic get finished.

Comment

I have the same problem.
              Had to install a small electric fuel pump.

Went through 2 low pressure fuel pumps and 1 high pressure fuel.
              Also new parts in the vapor separator.
              Did solid hook ups on the fuel line to rule out connectors.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by akmoosehauler View Post
                I have the same problem.
                Had to install a small electric fuel pump.

Went through 2 low pressure fuel pumps and 1 high pressure fuel.
                Also new parts in the vapor separator.
                Did solid hook ups on the fuel line to rule out connectors.

Good luck.
                '''''More like the problem was a blockage in the gauze filter in the vst or the float was sticking, and you were blaming the low and high pressure fuel pump, I have done 900 hours on a df140, the same high pressure fuel filter low pressure filter without a hick up only change the racor every hundred hours.

Comment

Originally posted by nelbur View Post
                  Does it only happen after the engine has been shut off? If so, it could be the vapor lock problem that Suzuki has been fooling with for years. The only solution I have heard of is an electric fuel pump along with a pressure regulator. Apparently the low pressure pump does a poor job of pumping vapor generated in the fuel line while a hot engine sets. There is a new low pressure fuel pump with a V in the part number. I have not heard if it is supposed to solve the vapor lock problem. I would love to hear what the new pump design is supposed to accomplish.
                  ''''' Mate they run a water cooled fuel rail so I doubt if that is the problem, I think his problem is between the needle and seat in the vst and the high pressure fuel filter.
                  When he says he can pump the bulb hard, it would be hard to do with the engine running because the suction from the low pressure pump would keep the check valve open in the bulb. If the needle was stuck in its seat in the vst the engine would run till it ran out of fuel and the bulb would stay hard.

Comment

no fuel

The only time I have ever touched my primer bulb is when it failed,have toy replaced yours

Comment

xchief -- what was the solution to your problem ?? Having the same problem now with same model and year of engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X