Suzuki 225 Reverse Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 225 Reverse Power

Hi, My engine is limited in power delivered when in reverse.. i am guessing this is normal.. is there anyway of removing this limitation? I moor the boat on a versadock and really need a little more oopm to get is off... Thanks :-)

Are you sure it's that the power is limited, and not the cup of the blades on the prop? Not as much thrust from the prop in reverse.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I had not thought about that... quite likely... still left with same problem :-(

Comment

another issue.. is the engine mounted at the correct height?

a few years ago i had taken my engine in for some service work.. one of the salemen that used to sell this boat - walked by the boat and told me the engine was mounted too high..
        I thought it was running pretty well.. lowered it down two inches..(next slot in the mounting bracket) and what a difference
        most notably --in reverse..
        prior to lowering a good part of the thrust was directed at the back of the extended hull.
        after lowering.. the thrust was pushed under the boat..

Art..

Comment

If the prop stays low enough in the water, some tilt will also help back it off the versadock, by thrusting downward as well as backward, helping to lift the stern.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Here is a note of caution....I don't think the motor is physically locked down except by weight...too much power in reverse will try to pull the prop up and out of the water by tilting the motor....2ndly your limiting power is only due to the hydrodynamics of the propeller. The engine turns exactly the same way in rev as in fwd all the way down to the lower unit bevel gear. Props are cut for fwd thrust so crappy rev is just the byproduct of your prop

Comment

Originally posted by seaox230c View Post
              Here is a note of caution....I don't think the motor is physically locked down except by weight...too much power in reverse will try to pull the prop up and out of the water by tilting the motor
              I think not. The two trim rams are not connected to the frame of the motor, of course, but the center tilt ram certainly is. That motor's not going anywhere.

Originally posted by seaox230c View Post
              ....2ndly your limiting power is only due to the hydrodynamics of the propeller. The engine turns exactly the same way in rev as in fwd all the way down to the lower unit bevel gear. Props are cut for fwd thrust so crappy rev is just the byproduct of your prop
              Same thing I said in my first reply. I just didn't use such fancy words.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
              X