Starts on 3rd or 4th attempt - 2007 225 V6 Four Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starts on 3rd or 4th attempt - 2007 225 V6 Four Stroke

My outboard has a starting issue that is driving me mad! The engine is a t is a 2007 V6 Suzuki 225 Four Stroke.

There are no faults logged on the engine but it will only start on the 3rd or 4th attempt, this used to be when warm but now this problem exists more and more often.

If the engine does start on the second attempt often the revs will surge a little then the engine will die.

The IAC value has been cleaned. I really don't know what else to do and the company who help me look after the engine are not sure where to go next without starting the look at lots of different sensors and getting expensive... Im not sure where to go next.. any thoughts or advice...

You are a little short on other information
    2007 is 10 years old How many hours ?
    Compression ? Leak down ?
    Valve clearance been checked?
    Plugs
    Fuel filters ?
    Fuel? How old?
    Arr

Comment

Don't know all the answers but engine is 2007, new spark plugs and filters at last service, engine was poor starter before and after this service. No idea on valve clearances...

Comment

The engine will start first time if I engage lots of neutral revs...

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdfish View Post
          The engine will start first time if I engage lots of neutral revs...
          ''''''Can you explain that in a little bit more detail, this could be the clue to your problem.

Comment

Thanks...I just mean putting the throttle forward when in neutral to rev the engine before starting, doing this will start the engine first time but sometime it dies as I bring the throttle back to neutral if this is done quickly

Comment

In your first post you say you cleaned the iac valve, how do you know it is not faulty. Do this simple test remove the iac valve get your thumb and wiggle the pintle with your thump pressure to push the pintle into the housing, when you feel it retract a couple of milimeters leave it in that position and reinstall it and DON'T connect the wiring plug back up.

Start the engine and see if it starts straight away and stay's revving, if it does and it is not revving too high leave it for a couple of minutes just to make sure.
              These six wire stepper motors are very reliable but they do play up, Next I want you to check the engine temp sensor, and the two exhaust manifold sensors on both heads.

With the key on engine off check the voltage of the temp sensor, and the two exhaust sensors, when the engine is cold then again when the engine is hot and report back what you find on the forum.

Comment

Thanks for this advice... will try and come back on the results :-)

Comment

Ok, Last attempt to get somewhere and then think will give up..

IAC Valve has now been replaced and is new
                  White Wire Connected to the right place

My engine starts perfectly from cold
                  Starts perfectly when turned off and on straight away when it is warm

Problem starts if engine is run, then left for 20+ mins... then it will only start on 3rd or 4th attempt. this can be overridden with lots of neutral revs and will start on first attempt after a turning over a few times..

My dealer has been great but is out of ideas and pretty much putting it down to a 10 year old engine :-( I don't want this "feature!" please help! Engine has run c450 hours.

Thanks so any thoughts and tips

Comment

You have a simple problem, and it wouldn't matter if the engine was thirty years old, it would still start straight away if every thing was mechanically and electrically sound. The first thing you should do is change your mechanic.

Comment

Working...
                    X