Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another NMEA question

Hello All,

After a couple of years reading now it's time for my first post.

Off course I've read the manual grant made and a lot of other topics. But still a bit confused. Tomorow my Sea Ray 230 BR leaves and a Sessa Key Largo 22 with a Suzuki DF200 from 2008 will arrive. I live in the Netherlands.

there is no NMEA network so I'll make one . Question is what do I need? Don't need a big 20"display but want a good gauge where I can read all the motor codes and available functions. What cables do I need? And what is the best gauge. Budget total is about 1000 euro ~ $1000.

Love this forum with all the help provided.
    Thnx, Martin
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Hi Martin

You will need

- a Suzuki engine interface cable, however the problem is that 2008 engine will not work (in all likelihood) with the latest versions of the cable that are available in many areas. You need a cable that can have its software changed to Version 2.5.0. Cables that have part numbes ending in -290 or -350 are locked and connot have their software versions changed. So perhaps check with Suzuki in your counrty to see whether they can supply a cable loaded with version 2.5.0 software. If not, Mike at Interntaional Marine in the US can sometimes get them. They may also be available from Australian dealers, but make sure you specify the software version you require when ordering.

- a SDS adapter cable, need this so you can connect the interface cable to the SDS port on the engine.

- a NMEA2000 starter kit (which has all the parts needed to create the network).

- then a gauge to display data on. In your case I would recommend a Suzuki C-10 display which you can only get from suppliers in the USA. Please note that the new Suzuki colour gauge sold in Europe and everywhere else except the USA will not work with a 2008 engine. International Marine can supply the C-10's. The other C-10 advantage is that this gauge can be used to configure the network and, if necessary, to upload software changes to components such as the interface cable. (It has a USB port on the back)

Th other gauge option is a SMIS 4" display. Likley to be less expensive than the C-10 but cant do software changes with it. No USB connector.

Other than that, the setup etc is as outlined in my information paper.

Comment

Thanks Grant. Will look for the cable and let you know when I'm done or run into trouble
      Regards, Martin
      DF200 2007

Comment

Another small question, when I buy a 2.3 software cable, can I upgrade this to 2.5 or can I use the 2.3 also? Does it have limitations that I have to know about? What is the difference with the 2.9?

I also have to buy or make myself the K8 adapter cable. I have a round plug on the engine.
        Regards, Martin
        DF200 2007

Comment

Yes, If you get one of the interface cables that can have their software changed, (any other than the version 290 or 350 cables) you can change it to any version.

This software upload can be done from the C-10, or, if you have a Lowrance HDS, Elite ti, or Simrad NSS, NSE or GO series display on your network, any one of them can be used to upload a software change to the interface.

V 2.3.0 is a reliable version for earlier motors up to about 2010 (I have used it successfully on my 2010 year motor) but has to be manually configured using the C-10 or one of the displays mentioned above. All this means is that you have to select the engine year and hp. It has some limitations re linking to multiple engines and multiple fuel tanks, and may not work with motors after about 2010.

V 2.5.0 is the first version that auto detects the engine year and hp. From this version onwards, you cannot change the engine selection - even if you try, it instantly reverts to the version it has detected. It selects engine hp at the "family" level (ie the DF100/115/140 family will be detect as a 140 as they all share common ecu architecture). Year will be set as the base year for that ecu, which may be earliervthan the actual construction year.

V 2.9.0 is designed for engines 2010 and later. If its used with earlier engines, fuel flow is going to be wildly wrong - by a factor of 8-10 times. Othr data may also be affected.

If you buy the adapter cable, get the "reverse K8 adapter cable" as it comes with the round plug to suit your engine.

Comment

Thnx Grant, much appreciated.

Last question for now . I plug in the reverse K8 cable to the round plug on the motor and in there the SDS adapter cable. Looks like the adapter cable is a extension cable to connect the interface cable to. Perhaps better to use the SDS adapter cable, cut off one plug and use a round plug (SM-HM bottom male plug) so eliminating one k8 reverse cable?

Edit:What I bought:
            SUZUKI SMIS GAUGE REVERSE K8 ADAPTER 990C0-88141
            SUZUKI SMIS GAUGE ADAPTER 990C0-88136
            Lowrance 000-0124-69 Nmea 2000 Starter Kit (000012469)
            Suzuki SUZ-990C0-88149-230 SMIS Engine Interface Cable (V2.3)

And is there in the 1000 euro range a best buy advise for a bigger display (some Lowrance HDS or so?)
            Last edited by Hoosmatroos; 06-04-2017, 08:28 PM. Reason: What I Bought
            Regards, Martin
            DF200 2007

Comment

The interface cable simply has the wrong s e x square white plug to connect to the SDS plug on the engine.

On newer (post about 2010) engines, most people running 100% digital data connect to the engine harness behind the dash and this has the correct s e x plug to directly connect the interface cable to. Sk no adapter cable needed.

So thats why you need an adapter cable.

And, in addition, your older engine has the round SDS plug too.

So getting the reverse K8 adapter cable allows :

- the interface cable to plug into one end of the reverse K8 cable, then
              - the other end of the reverse K8 plugs into the round SDS plug on the engine.

So you just need one adapter cable, the correct one for the pre-2008 motors with the round SDS plug on the engine is the reverse K8 adapter cable.

If you are considering another bigger display to use for engine data, a great option is the Simrad GO7xse, or a Lowrance Elite Ti. Both have 7' full colour screens. I have the Simrad and its a very nice unit, all touch screen, no buttons, nice and compact. The advantages of both of these is that they give you backup GPS and sonar as well if you add a transducer.

Comment

Oké, very clear now. Thnx, most of the work seems feeding the cables from the engine to the dash
                Regards, Martin
                DF200 2007

Comment

Yes, that is usually thehardest part!

Comment

Run into a problem

Ordered the cable from Mike but looks like he won't ship it to the Netherlands. already purchased it but today received a cancellation from Fedex. Spoke with Mike by mail and said earlier that he would supply it for me but it will take a couple of months.

Confused now. Send him an email and still have some hope that he would deliver.

Searched and run into an, I presume, older interface cable with part number 990C0-88148. Is this one also usable?What is the difference with the 88149? This cable seems easier to get.
                    Last edited by Hoosmatroos; 07-10-2017, 07:07 AM.
                    Regards, Martin
                    DF200 2007

Comment

That one should be Ok.

Suzuki used to change the part numbers with every software version change, until they released the latest versions.

As long as it isnt a version with -290 or -350 at the end if the number, it will be one of the earlier versions that can have its software changed to whatever version you need.

Comment

Thanks, ordered the cable yesterday and hope to receive it next week.
                        Regards, Martin
                        DF200 2007

Comment

After a lot of trouble I received the cable 990C0-88148. But unfortunately the plug was missing, cut off. I have all the necessary plugs for the interface but can't find the wire layout. Does anybody know wich calbe has to go to the plugs? (colors in plug pins)
                          Regards, Martin
                          DF200 2007

Comment

Here are 2 photos of my interface connection that might help you with wire and pin placements.

Good luck!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Moonlighter; 08-21-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

But, looking at my "interface cable" and looks like it's another cable. EP-65R and on a tiny sticker it says 990C0-88116. Looked up this thing and it turned out to be an electronic fluid level sensor.

I already mentioned that there was a lot of trouble with the ebay seller. Got my money back and he didn't want the cable send back. So I have a free sensor to put on the network.

So out for looking to another interface cable. It's a struggle.
                              Regards, Martin
                              DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X