Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF60 fuel consumption via NMEA 2000

Hello all,

I have a 2014 Suzuki DF60 that I just networked to a Garmin 54CV using NMEA 2000. I am getting info for the tach and volts but not temperature or most importantly fuel consumption.

All the literature I can find indicates that I should be getting gal/hr. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks!

The interface needs to be configured properly once set up.

Perhaps read the info paper at this linkthat explains it all:

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...-networks.html

1. Have you done the initial configuration (set engine location and number if tanks) - this needs to be done using a Suzuki, Simrad or Lowrance display.

2. What version interface cable/software are you running?

3. On your display, where fuel flow should be showing, what are you seeing?? Dashes or ???

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      The interface needs to be configured properly once set up.

Perhaps read the info paper at this linkthat explains it all:

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...-networks.html

1. Have you done the initial configuration (set engine location and number if tanks) - this needs to be done using a Suzuki, Simrad or Lowrance display.

2. What version interface cable/software are you running?

3. On your display, where fuel flow should be showing, what are you seeing?? Dashes or ???
      Thanks for the reply.

I allowed the software in Garmin to automatically select one engine. I then entered the number of tanks and volume.

I have the 990C0-88149-350 Interface Cable (V3.5) connected through a 990C0-88136 SIMS Adapter.

The fuel flow always shows 0.0 gal/hr. If it matters the temp is always maxed out as well.

Comment

The Garmin cannot configure the Suzuki interface. It can set number of engines etc in its own memory, but not in the interface.

This is likely to be your problem.

Comment

I don't get engine hours either.

Comment

The Garmin cannot configure the Suzuki interface. It can set number of engines etc in its own memory, but not in the interface.

This is likely to be your problem.
            So I have to find a Suzuki, Simrad or Lowrance display to borrow so I can program the Suzuki interface?

Comment

Yes. Cannot be done with Garmin. Navico makes the Suzuki interfaces is the reason. Easiest ones to connect up would be a SMIS gauge or a C-10. Both get power from the network so no extra wiring needed. Just connect to a network T (unplug the Garmin and use that T).

Once the config is done, the Lowrance/suzuki unit can be removed from the network. So its only a once off thing, usually done by dealers when installing the network.

If you are getting some data and the Suzuki appears in the Garmin device list, this is likely to be the problem. There is only 1 data wire in the interface so if some data is available, it all will be. Just needs proper configuring.

Only other thing to be 100% sure about is the power supply to the network. Recently heard of some cases where poor power supply/low voltage under load resulted in loss of some data.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-04-2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Yes. Cannot be done with Garmin. Navico makes the Suzuki interfaces is the reason. Easiest ones to connect up would be a SMIS gauge or a C-10. Both get power from the network so no extra wiring needed. Just connect to a network T (unplug the Garmin and use that T).

Once the config is done, the Lowrance/suzuki unit can be removed from the network. So its only a once off thing, usually done by dealers when installing the network.

If you are getting some data and the Suzuki appears in the Garmin device list, this is likely to be the problem. There is only 1 data wire in the interface so if some data is available, it all will be. Just needs proper configuring.

Only other thing to be 100% sure about is the power supply to the network. Recently heard of some cases where poor power supply/low voltage under load resulted in loss of some data.
                OK, thanks for all you insight!

Comment

After some fairly extensive networking to my contacts in the marine industry I can't find a single person using Simrad, Lowrance or a Suzuki gauge. They just aren't very popular around here. The local dealer, while very helpful, didn't even know that one could network an outboard and GPS let alone have a display on hand.

Is there anyone on the board who lives in Maine and could loan/rent me a Simrad, Lowrance or a Suzuki gauge for about 15 minutes or has an old display they want to sell so I can set up my interface for a Garmin?

Thanks!

Comment

I found someone with a Simrad and tried to get the setup done. No luck! Same exact issue as with my Garmin, any other ideas? The local Suzuki dealer is good but doesn't know anything about this. I called Suzuki and they were less than helpful, in fact they actually hung up on me!

Comment

Tom, where are you located? We may be able to point you to a nearby dealer that understands these systems if we knew that.

Or, call one of these in the USA:

Mike at International Marine
                      Brownspoint Suzuki
                      Outboard Specialties

They are all big Suzuki dealers who inow the networking stuff very well.

Comment

Tom, where are you located? We may be able to point you to a nearby dealer that understands these systems if we knew that.

Or, call one of these in the USA:

Mike at International Marine
                        Brownspoint Suzuki
                        Outboard Specialties

They are all big Suzuki dealers who inow the networking stuff very well.
                        Good morning,

I might give International Marine a call Monday.

I am near Camden Maine, USA. Other than the local dealer (who doesn't know networking) the closest location is in Portland, Maine about 80 miles from me. I guess I could go there but between fuel/time/paying them I could just buy a Suzuki C-10 and it would be cheaper.

One thing I noticed about trying to set up the interface with the Simrad: It gave the option of selecting the engine year. Once that was entered the model could be selected but I could never enter that information, it wouldn't let me. After the screen was closed the year of the engine was not retained, I could never get it to save.

I have to say, this is a major flaw with Suzuki's NMEA 2000.

Comment

I am thinking of ordering a 4 in. Multi-Function Gauge ($200) just to set up the Suzuki interface. Might be the cheapest way to do it and if it doesn't work then something is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by tom-01 View Post
                            Good morning,

I might give International Marine a call Monday.

I am near Camden Maine, USA. Other than the local dealer (who doesn't know networking) the closest location is in Portland, Maine about 80 miles from me. I guess I could go there but between fuel/time/paying them I could just buy a Suzuki C-10 and it would be cheaper.

One thing I noticed about trying to set up the interface with the Simrad: It gave the option of selecting the engine year. Once that was entered the model could be selected but I could never enter that information, it wouldn't let me. After the screen was closed the year of the engine was not retained, I could never get it to save.

I have to say, this is a major flaw with Suzuki's NMEA 2000.
                            Call interntaional before buying anything else. The old 4" SMIS guages are problematic with the newer engines like yours - to the point where many dealers will refuse the install them. Not recomended to go that way.

Its sometimes hard to solve these issues remotely, its just better to be in front of the machine while youre talking on the phone to the expert so they can walk thru a trouble shooting process. Mike and his team are usually very helpful and can often pinpoint issues quite quickly.

Re the Simrad setup, even though you can enter the year it wont actually change it or the engine hp - both of these are automatically detected by the interface when connected to the engine, they will revert to whatever was detected nayway as youve found. (I cover these issues specifically in my NMEA2000 network paper that I referred you to earlier, it really is a very good idea to read it.).

You should have seen on that configuration screen that the engine was already set as DF60 and the year as something close to your engines year. Yes?

You should also have been able to select in that screen: 1 engine/1 tank and set the engine location to centre, and the fuel tank capacity. Did you do that? Those are the important interface configuration steps required to make it work properly. These settings are held in the interface cable once set. Engine key must be turned on when you are doing this.
                            Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-11-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom-01 View Post
                              I am thinking of ordering a 4 in. Multi-Function Gauge ($200) just to set up the Suzuki interface. Might be the cheapest way to do it and if it doesn't work then something is wrong.
                              If you only want the SMIS gauge to setup the interface, I'd be willing to loan you mine if you pay for the round-trip shipping from Alabama. It is an LMF-400 with V2.6.0 s/w installed. I modified my gauge to surface-mount to the dash of my "antique" boat, because I didn't want to cut a hole for it, and it's fairly easy for me to remove. I'd be willing to loan it to you for a week or two. PM me if you want to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X