white gooey substance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white gooey substance

I recently purchased a lund boat with a df50 with 50 hours on it but it had been sitting a long time. When I first took it out it bogged every time I tried to give it gas. I emptied the portable tank and put fresh gas in and it ran great until the next trip when it intermittenly bogged. I then took the valve off the tank and found this white goo blocking the valve, replaced with straight thru fitting, cleaned the tank, fitting to the motor, replaced all filters, and primer bulb. It now runs much better but still get an occasional bog. I suspect this stuff has made it into the fuel vapor separator and possibly injectors. My question is does anyone know of an additive that will dissolve this stuff or can I squirt some carb cleaner into the separator thru one of the hoses or am I stuck pulling it and taking it apart? I tried seafoam but no help and from what I've read may have contributed to this problem. Thanks in advance for any help. Once I get this issue fixed I will post back with outcome.

Did you try using Seafoam at high levels? On Seafoam's site in the FAQs It is asked"Can you run too much Seafoam i the gas"? and they said NO. I have read a couple of emails from Seafoam about very very high Seafoam ratios suggested by them and say it is not an issue. I would hit it with a 50:50 ratio for a half a tankful.

Comment

hate ethanol

Thanks for the reply, I didn't try that much seafoam, just filled the water separator filter with it. From what I've been reading the white goo is due to combining chemicals the gas companies put in and possibly additives I've used and maybe ethanol and or water. Unfortunately here in California there doesn't seem to be any place you can buy non ethanol gas, even the marinas seem to be going to ethanol. If anyone in the bay area knows of one please let me know!

Comment

Tommy, Make sure that all your fuel lines are ethanol friendly,and yes get lots of that sea foam through the system

Comment

Originally posted by tommybe1 View Post
          Thanks for the reply, I didn't try that much seafoam, just filled the water separator filter with it. From what I've been reading the white goo is due to combining chemicals the gas companies put in and possibly additives I've used and maybe ethanol and or water. Unfortunately here in California there doesn't seem to be any place you can buy non ethanol gas, even the marinas seem to be going to ethanol. If anyone in the bay area knows of one please let me know!
          Here's a link of the non-ethanol stations in Kalifornia https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

gas

None around san jose/san fran but thank you for the reply

Comment

Well, go back and check that link every now and then. And keep your eye on whatever company links up with Walmart with gas stations in your area. In TX, it's Murphy USA, and just recently there are a whole lot of Murhpy USA stations adding non-ethanol to their gas grades.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

fixed

replaced the fuel lines and ran a can of seafoam in a 1 gal tank of gas thru the motor, all is fine now , runs great, thank you for the suggestion :-)

Comment

Working...
                X