X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Lower Unit Noise

S/no: 14002F-113013
    Hours 440.

There is a ‘rumble’ coming from the gearbox. With the prop off and the motor running in gear at idle speed I can hear a rumble. If I pull on the output shaft the rumble gets louder, and when I push the shaft in to the gearbox the rumble is a little quieter. I’m looking for advice on what the cause of this may be and weather I should just continue running it as is or if I should have it opened and inspected.

This is one of a twin installation – the other gearbox (counter rotating) does not have the same rumble and when pushing / pulling on the shaft there is no noise or change.

The gearbox has some history. The skeg broke off when it hit a rock when the motor had 20 hours on it. The casing was replaced and all the original internals were fitted into the new casing by the dealer. The engine still runs well and there are no problems selecting gears.

Thanks

Johnny

Think I'd take it back to the dealer that replaced the casing, and let them assess whether, or not there is a problem. It is better to have repaired before it does serious damage. It might be only a bearing and couple of seals right now, but if it fails, it could cost the entire lower unit?

Good luck. Post back how its going when able.

Comment

Working...
    X