New 20 hp but can't get runnng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 20 hp but can't get runnng

We bought a new Suzuki 20 hp outboard today, installed on our boat. Hooked up gas tank with supplied hose and there appears to be something wrong with the primer squeeze bulb- it doesn't really pump or fill up, just stays depressed. Engine starts briefly and dies- then bulb is really flat.

I've checked the hose, tank, connections, etc and everything looks normal.

One thing I tried was connecting the fuel line from our Honda that we are replacing and it seems to fit better at the tank. I'm thinking of swapping the fitting on the new line that goes to the engine onto this line and using instead of the new one, unless someone here has another thought?

Thanks for helping, my dealer is closed until Monday and we really want to use it this weekend.

Are you using a Suzuki fuel tank that came with your motor, or are you using the old Honda tank? I believe the Honda and Suzuki fuel fittings are different sizes. One hose may fit onto the other tank, but given what you are experiencing, I would suspect that the fitting on the fuel line does not fit the tank fitting correctly. When the fuel line is plugged into the tank, a spring-loaded "ball bearing" seal is depressed in the fitting to enable fuel flow.

Comment

First thought (dont take offense!) is that you may have put the fuel hose on the wrong way around - the primer bulb should have an arrow on it and the arrow must point towards the motor, and ideally, the bulb should be sitting vertical so the end closest to the motor is at the top.

And dont forget to open the breather fitting on the tank if it has one!

Comment

Thanks

No to both of the above suggestions, I used all the parts that came with the motor, and they were all connected at factory. I did check the arrow direction on bulb yesterday and it was correct. Today I connected the hose from the Honda to the tank from the Suzuki, and swapped out the fitting at the motor, and it works fine. Seems like the Suzuki bulb is bad, or possibly it was the connection at the tank since I didn't convert that end.

Comment

Probably a lot of air in the hose and bulb. Try it with the bulb vertical and the arrow facing upwards. In that case the valves work better and you should get fuel to the engine. Once there is fuel in the primerbulb everything should be ok. Remember its new and there are no fuels in it yet.

Comment

sounds to me that the fitting that attaches to the fuel tank is the problem
            is it some kind of an anti- siphon fitting?
            the bulb going flat tells you it is plugged or blocked between the tank and the bulb
            remove that fitting and pump the bulb. without that fitting it should act in a normal fashion
            art

Comment

The bulb on my 25 HP zuke failed when it was about one year old, so I would not be too surprised to find that you have a bad bulb. There is a plastic check valve glued into each end of the bulb. In my case one of the valves had come loose, and I could feel it inside the bulb where it does not belong. I cut the bulb open and found the valve loose inside.

Comment

Working...
              X