DF90A lower end removal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF90A lower end removal ?

Got my oil changed and timer reset thanks to your help.
    Now i'm changing water pump impeller and have hit a bump in the road.
    I have removed the 5 nuts holding lower end in place and the lower end won't separate from upper housing. The bench manual says remove anode fin and bolt under it if "necessary". Can someone confirm if there a bolt hidden there that needs removal. ALSO : There appears to be a heavy amount of salt/corrosion around the threads of the bolts and up inside the holes where the bolts extend out. Could this be the reason lower end won't drop?
    I tried the rubber mallet but don't want to hit it too hard.
    Thanks for any and all suggestions/info.!!!

Not sure on your engine, but some have a bolt under the trim tab.

Comment

you're talking about nuts but i hope you mean bolts.

there are 4 bolts on the side of the gearcase and one bolt deep under the caviation plate in a hole in front of the trimtap. the bolt thats holt the trimtap is not the one you need to unscrew.

if these 5 are out and the gearcase wont move it's possibly stuck on the little pins that possition the assy . number 3 in the picture
      in that case you should use some force on the right place.
      Attached Files

Comment

nuts and bolts

Thanks for the come back Pniksnut. Actually my df90a motors are down in mexico and a friend is the one doing the work. He sent me photos of the nuts he removed from the threaded studs. They are in the same position that the bench manual shows there being bolts. In the thumb nail you provided the nut is #18 "nut, extension bolt" and the washer is #19. There are 4 of these, 2 on each side exactly where the bolts are said to be. The motor is a "X" long shaft model. Could that possibly be the reason there are threaded studs coming down from upper housing that use nuts instead of bolts going up and into upper housing??? Thanks
        Last edited by Curtlj; 12-08-2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Did they remove bolt and tab #4&5, then remove bolt 16? That sounds like your issue.
          2017 Avalon 2485 LSZ-QL with Suzuki DF200A

Comment

only on the XL models there are studs instead of bolts. i think corrosion made it stuk on those studs. also the extra driveshaft bushing (12) kan be clamping on the shaft.

some heating of the housing around the studs may help.
            Attached Files

Comment

Likewise, there should (most models) still be a nut under the zinc trim tab above the prop.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the input. We will keep at it and hopefully be able to loosen it up without breaking anything. My fault for waiting so long before changing out impeller.

Comment

Have you disconnected the gear change linkage???

Comment

Originally posted by Oddjob View Post
                    Have you disconnected the gear change linkage???
                    The Manual shows the splines on the shaft assemblies just slide into/out of place on the DF90A.

Comment

Correct. Its a rotating shaft with splines.

Comment

I found a few people saying, try loosenig lower end nuts or bolts and put boat in the water and run it a bit. The vibrations can help lossen up the splines and what ever else holding the pieces together. Dropping a small amount while possibly in gear shouldn’t mess up the drive shaft or gears should it??

Comment

never done that so can't help you with that. would not put it in gear en drive hard.
                          at least not obove stationair

Comment

If you can get the lower unit to drop 1/16", just enough to fit 4 wood wedges, front, back and on both sides, try tapping on the wedges. You will want to coax the lower unit off square to the drive shaft. You may need to start with small door wedges and work your way up to larger wooden wedges. As you increase wedge size you will likely need to use a larger hammer with more force. I'd suggest you keep the nuts on the studs, backed off so the lower unit won't drop on the ground when the lower unit finally lets go. Good luck, corrosion is never fun to deal with!

Comment

Originally posted by Curtlj View Post
                              I found a few people saying, try loosenig lower end nuts or bolts and put boat in the water and run it a bit. The vibrations can help lossen up the splines and what ever else holding the pieces together. Dropping a small amount while possibly in gear shouldn’t mess up the drive shaft or gears should it??
                              Also never tried that but sounds like a plan if other options doesn't work. If you loosen the bolts 2mm or 3mm then you shouldn't have any problems with your drive shaft splines. Gears are no problem at all. The vibrations can help to loosen the stuck studs.
                              Regards, Martin
                              DF200 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X