No announcement yet.

DF90A lower end removal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just don't bang too hard on it like a hack mechanic did on mine...
    Attached Files
    2003 Johnson/Suzuki 90 bolted to a Boston Whaler 17 Super Sport Limited

Comment

So, i was able to remove the lower end with a combo of heat, few days of soaking penetrating oil, and heavy hammers with blocks of wood. Seems that the aluminum casing that surrounds the threaded studs heats up and expands faster than the stainless bolts and i believe that allowed the penetrating oil a chance to work its way up the bolts slightly. I would heat the area and just bang on the studs and top of lower end and soak over the course of 2 days. Never in a hurry and would walk away from it quite often. Once the lower end dropped 1-2 mm i was able to start getting oil on top of the studs and let it soak down. Thankfully the drive shaft spline came right out and was not hung up at all. I could not find Aero Kroil near me so i used a 50-50 mixture of automatic trans fluid and acetone. I found that on line and people were swearing by it. I'm grateful for the support and ideas that this board gave me. Now all i have to do is duplicate the process because i have two DF90As hanging on the back of my rig.

Comment

Working...
      X