Crazy idea - remote on DF 2.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy idea - remote on DF 2.5?

Yes, 2.5 - not 25. Very small, no OEM provisions for remote. The whole remote thing is new to me, so please bear with me.

Have a square-stern canoe, similar to one in the link below. With 30 lb Suzi and me on the back seat the bow lifts up a bit, and there won't be a 2nd person in the bow, so I need to sit close to midship.

Remote steering is easy, other people did this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecxr...yer_detailpage

Remote kill-switch is easy.

Throttle - not sure.

DF 2.5 has a single throttle cable same as older DF 4/5/6: pull-action to open the throttle, spring-action to close it when you let it go. There is an expensive Remocon kit for DF 4/5/6, but the lower cowl of DF 2.5 is too small to attach 8" rod of Teleflex control cable.

So I came up with this idea - install a 1/16" pull-cable in plastic sleeve, similar to throttle control on lawn mowers (or to rudder control on kayaks).

Here is the problem: a typical remote control box has a PUSH action for throttle cable, at least those for Suzuki. You push lever forward, the Teleflex cable is pushing back (it can, because Teleflex is stiff). This converts into pulling action through some tricky add-on drums installed on the motor. But my 1/16" cable only has a PULLING action.

So if I push the remote lever forward, it won't "push" my 1/16 cable, but will let it go back (because this is how gears in the box work) , so it will CLOSE the throttle by spring action. Conversely, when I pull the lever back, it will pull my 1/16 cable forward, so throttle will open.

So remote throttle will be backwards. Can get used to it, but maybe there are other remote boxes, other brands, very old boxes, whatever - that utilize PULLING action for throttle? Could probably install a $10 "control box" from lawn mover
Working...
X